Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog ate a portion of her orthopedic bed this afternoon and

My dog ate a portion of her orthopedic bed this afternoon and threw up a couple hourz after dinner. She has just pooped out some foam. She has a hx of backward bowel regurge. Should I take her to the Er vet or can I wait til am?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Li-lu.

Of course, both of our concerns are immediately elevated because not only is she vomiting some of it, but also passing in her bowels.

So, we really have no idea how much is left in her, and if she already has an obstruction somewhere in the stomach or intestinal tract.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.

Can it wait?
This is very tricky. Ideally, no, because she is even vomiting after eating.

But, here are some guidelines that can help.
Emergency:
If you observe any of the following, you'll want to get into a ER veterinarian for better supportive care:
- persistent vomiting or trying to vomit
- bad diarrhea or bloody diarrhea
- poor appetite that persists
- excessive panting to suggest nausea or pain
- bloated belly appearance or a tense belly

Very sorry to hear what she did. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Hi Elliane,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Li-Lu. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Doctor Andy,

We took your advise and took lilu to the vet. The vet took several xrays and induced vomiting to remove the foreign body from the stomach. They gave her IV and IM fluids to keep her hydrated. She is doing better and eating soft foods. She has not vomited since her return from the vet. I do appreciated your help and you relaxed me and my husband. Thanks again, Elliane

Great Elliane,
Very happy to hear everything went okay.

Feel free to click my link below, save it, so you can return for any future questions.

Good Luck!