Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my 8 yr old dog jumped off the deck and ran after a squirrel

came back limping now she...
my 8 yr old dog jumped off the deck and ran after a squirrel came back limping now she walks on 3 legs nothing seems broken or swollen i've been giving her baby asprin 2 its been 3 days what could she have done
9/10/2013
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Welcome and thanks for asking your question, I am sorry to learn Mollie injured herself. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What leg did she hurt?
2- How much does she weigh?
3- How many milligrams of aspirin are you giving?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

she hurt back right leg, she weighs 17lbs , 81 mil of asprin

Friend, it is possible Mollie has either a fracture, dislocated hip or a soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament) injury. A very common injury of the hind limb of dogs is a ruptured cranial cruciate (ACL in humans) ligament. If she has been on Aspirin 81mg 2 tablets every 12 hours for 3 days and she is not bearing weight on the limb she needs to be seen by family veterinarian. Mollie will need xrays and an orthopedic examination to determine the exact underlying cause. In the meantime, rest her (no running or jumping) continue on aspirin.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian