Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hello, I have a 1 ½ year old healthy/up to date on vaccinations

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 1 ½ year old healthy/up to date on vaccinations Dachshund, Otis, who is normally very energetic and playful. Starting this morning he is definitely acting strange, it is clear something is wrong but I can’t figure out what.

Symptoms: Did not eat breakfast, but a few bites 3 hrs after it was down. Shaking as though he has the shivers. Sad, sleeping, and right on myself or my husband all day. Like literally, has to be right next to/sitting on/or picked up.

He drank water and made a bowel movement this morning normally, but walked past his food bowl when he came in. I had to go outside with him though, or else he would run right back to the door and scratch to come inside; which is totally opposite behavior. Instead of running in the yard and chasing the squirrels from the feeder, he took 2 steps off the porch and went to the bathroom and jumped on my leg to be picked up which he normally only does if he can’t look out the window in the living room.

He shivers have not stopped even when in a blanket, and when he walks right at our heels his tail is between is legs as though he did something wrong and his ears are back. I rubbed/felt every inch of him, and he doesn’t bite at me as if something were hurting. I even applied pressure to his stomach/chest and nothing. He did not get into anything toxic and he isn’t throwing up or diarrhea.

Otis never gets table food, but to see how bad he was really feeling my husband got 3 Cheerio’s and called his name from the opposite side of the sofa. He unenergetically got off my lap, and walked over to him with his tail still between his legs and his ears back to get the treat. He ate them, walked back over to me sat on my lap and kept shivering.

Eyes are sad looking, pupils are dilated, and nose is wet/cold.

He has not played or barked all day which is extremely odd. If you throw is favorite Kong he will jump down, get it, bring it RIGHT back and jump on your lap to sleep/shiver.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question, I am sorry to learn Otis is not feeling well. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any other symptoms besides being lethargic and shivering?
2- How much does he weigh?
3- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
4- Can you take a rectal temperature on him?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1 - No, nothing that we have noticed other than him being extremely clingy/needy. He has been drinking and going #1 fine. He has not eaten dinner either, and is still doing the odd shivering.

2- He weighs 12 lbs and rarelyyyyy gets table food, unless something falls on the floor and he gets it before we do. He has eaten the same Beneiful Narturals for over a year now.

3- Gums are pink. He has been yawning/licking his lips a lot now that you mention his mouth. As if he can't get a yawn out.

4- I can not take a rectal temp, but my husband and I were just discussing getting a thermometer from the drug store to see if he has a temp. Is it if he has a temp there is an infection or he has some sort of virus? What if the temp is normal, what do you think it is?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Venessa, in a young dog with acute onset of lethargy and shivering without any other symptoms common causes would be a fever secondary an infection, given that Otis is a dachshund we also have to consider neuromuscular problems like a pinch nerve along his back or a pulled muscle. If you can pick up a thermometer to take his temperature that would be great, the normal temperature in a dog is between 99.5-102.5 F. In the meantime, what you can do is start him on Buffered Aspirin 325mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. If there is no improvement by tomorrow after starting aspirin, have him checked by family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Hi Venessa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Otis. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter