Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My daughter had a 4 months (50 lbs) golden retriever whom swallowed

My daughter had a 4 months (50 lbs) golden retriever whom swallowed approximately 10 pills (anthrotec) . I live in a remote are and cannot find an emergency clinic. I have given him some salt and he has throw up. Pls tell me what else I can do. He is drowsy
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Charlie.

How soon after he ingested the pills did he vomit them up?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can't tell for sure but about an hour

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The pills were disolved cannot

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What else can be done

I think my entire answer was just lost. :(

Please hold a moment
Well, inducing vomiting is best within the fist 1 hour. So, we can be certain some of the pills is in the vomitus, but we can also assume some definitely was digested especially with her seeming more drowsy.

As I am sure you can understand, I really must encourage an emergency vet visit, because I cannot predict if she may get worse.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.

Emergency:
If you observe any of the following, you'll want to get into a ER veterinarian for better supportive care:
- persistent vomiting or trying to vomit
- bad diarrhea or bloody diarrhea
- poor appetite that persists
- excessive panting to suggest nausea or pain
- bloated belly appearance or a tense belly

So, best at home is to now try and settle the stomach. Unfortunately, there is no other at home care than can be provided. Ideally, with many toxicities, best therapy is getting intravenous fluid therapy to help flush out (diuresis) the body.

Wish I could do more, but best points I can throw out there.
I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should we let him sleep or try to make him walk

Let him sleep.
However, I would check him every few hours to ensure he is not getting progressively worse. If he is literally appearing drunk-like or having difficulty walking, the ER trip is important.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately, there are no emergency vets in our remote area. We will call first thing in the morning, from your experience do you think he has a chance to make it through

Based solely on a guess, and not on any physical examination, I do believe this should not result in death, but could predispose to illness and needing some supportive care as soon as you can get into a vet.

Sorry, I have to write the first part, because it must be clear to any readers that I am not your primary vet and that we have no patient client doctor relationship.