Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

Should I use azitromicin in my dog with a swollen paw??

Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
Absolutely, I would not use it.

That antibiotic is very strong and is likely going to give your pet blow out diarrhea.

yes, the paw may be infected, and it could be serious, but just giving a random dose or two of zithromycin could actually make things worse. If he gets sick on it, then you go to a vet, it will make the treatments your vet wants to give (another antibiotic and some good anti-inflammatory medication) more difficult because his digestive tract is already ruined.

I would hold off. Definitely, well worth examination to see what the primary cause of the swelling may be.
Perhaps, it is an allergic reaction, and he only needs some steroids for swelling reduction.

Well worth the vet trip before starting any therapies. Good that you asked first.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.