Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837

DOG SWALLED METOPROLOL 50 MG 1 PILL

DOG SWALLED METOPROLOL 50 MG 1 PILL
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

How long ago did Buddy swallow the pill?

How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

UT 15 MINUTES AGO HE WEIGHS 14 LBS

Thank you for the additional information.

Metoprolol is a medication that can be used in dogs though a dose of 50 mg for a 14 pound dog is much higher then the standard dose (which would be about 5-10 mg). This medication can cause a decreased heart rate, blood pressure, drowsiness, and sedation. Due to these potential side effects and the fact that Buddy ingested the medication 15 minutes ago, I would recommend inducing vomiting.

The safest way to induce vomiting would be to give him 3% hydrogen peroxide. His dose would be 2 teaspoons. Use an oral syringe or a spoon to place the peroxide in the back of his throat so that he swallows all of it. Most dogs will vomit in 10-15 minutes. If he does not then I would give another dose of the peroxide fifteen minutes after the first.

If he does not vomit after the second dose I would not give a third. If he does not vomit then I would recommend either taking him to a vet to get more help inducing vomiting or you could monitor him for the symptoms that I mentioned above. If he does seem very drowsy or sedated then I really would take him to a vet to have his blood pressure checked tonight.

If he does vomit he really should be just fine.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question!
How is everything going? Did Buddy vomit up the pill?

Hi Cheryl,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy. How is everything going?

Dr. Matt