Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Hello We have a 13 year old lab that has recently be diagnosed

Hello We have a 13 year...
Hello

We have a 13 year old lab that has recently be diagnosed with LP when we had to take here to an emergency vet while visiting family in Indiana. Maya had a seizure and was experiencing great difficulty in breathing. She had been prescribed lasix and theoplylline by our home vet in North Carolina a few days prior to the trip. Our home vet indicated she has some fluid on her lungs that was concluded by xrays. We began giving Maya the prescribed medication once in Indiana, and it was only 2 days later she had a seizure. Upon some web research we later learned theoplylline can cause seizures. We have stopped the medication and she has had no more seizures but the gagging and heavy breathing are getting worse. We are considering doxepin for maya but our home vet seems hesitant. Also doxepin has some precautions regarding seizure prone dogs. Does one seizure constitute being seizure prone? What are you thoughts on doxepin?
We are just wishing to make maya as comfortable as possible and surgery is not an option.

thank you
8/21/2013
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Dogdoc4u :

Welcome to the chat!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dogdoc4u :

So sorry to hear of your predicament with Maya

Dogdoc4u :

In my experience, dogs that have seizures with one medication that can be seizure-inducing in pets can increase their risk with other medications that can cause this reaction

Dogdoc4u :

At this point, there has been no studies done that reflect on the use of doxepin for laryngeal paralysis comparing quality of life and comfort versus a placebo to say this is an effective option

Dogdoc4u :

Most surgeons I have read feel this option is not one that has made a difference. If it is something you elect to try because surgery is not an option it might be worthwhile trying a smaller dose, perhaps 1/4 advised dose and tapering up weekly to see if she can handle this medication

Dogdoc4u :

Has hypothyroidism been ruled out as a contributing factor for her?

Customer:

I am assuming hypothyroidism is a sedative?

Customer:

But no that has not been given as an option by our local vet

Dogdoc4u :

Actually hypothyroidism is a low production of thyroid hormone and is a contributing factor to laryngeal paralysis in some cases

Dogdoc4u :

So it is a blood test for a low thyroid level

Dogdoc4u :

And if treated can relieve some signs of laryngeal paralysis

Customer:

ahhh ok

Customer:

at this point only xrays have been conducted on her

Dogdoc4u :

I have had a few cases that have responded positively once treated for the low thyroid

Dogdoc4u :

It might be worthwhile to have a thyroid panel done, which includes a T4, TSH, Free T4 by Equilibrium Dialysis

Customer:

as I mentioned our local vet prescribed the two meds after xrays

Customer:

ok I will ask

Dogdoc4u :

Yes, this has nothing to do with hypothyroidism and will not effect treatment or diagnosis

Dogdoc4u :

In more severe cases of laryngeal paralysis steroids are used to control signs...

Customer:

we are no pro long the life of maya for our benefit kind of people. However, she is healthy for a 13 year old lab minus the P breathing issues but realize that it get's progressively worse

Dogdoc4u :

Yes, and unfortunately often these cases are associated with some type of musculoskeletal disease that we do not fully understand so it can progress to effect the muscles of the body as well causing muscle wasting and weakness

Dogdoc4u :

I completely understand, sometimes the thyroid treatment can make a dent in comfort in these situations

Dogdoc4u :

If diagnosed hypothyroid

Customer:

yes steroids was mentioned by the attending ER Vet in Indiana but steroids are not a continually type of medication correct?

Dogdoc4u :

If it helps control the signs it can be used for this purpose

Dogdoc4u :

It can unfortunately be a quality versus quantity of life situation once steroids are initiated

Dogdoc4u :

And sometimes we can taper to the lowest effective dose for comfort

Customer:

Ok and she has been experiencing other rear leg weakness as well.

Dogdoc4u :

Which can be related or simply arthritis of an older pet such as Maya. This can be determined on a physical exam if they can possibly be related

Customer:

Ok quality is much more important to us that quantity.

Dogdoc4u :

I completely understand

Dogdoc4u :

So steroids might be something to consider if she is in fact not hypothyroid

Customer:

OK I will have our vet conduct a blood test. If not hypothyroid you would avoid the doxepin or would it be worth a try?

Customer:

beyond the steroids

Dogdoc4u :

If I were to try it I would start with a very low dose, 1/4 dose for her size then titrate up weekly to minimize the side effects

Customer:

Understood

Customer:

thank you for you time

Dogdoc4u :

You are very welcome

Dogdoc4u :

Can I assist with any additional questions today?

Customer:

No that is covers it

Dogdoc4u :

OK, I wish you luck in getting her some comfort

Dogdoc4u :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer:

thank you she is a very good girl

Dogdoc4u :

I bet, older labs can definitely take your heart!

Customer:

yes we already lost one a year ago and it too was a quality of life decision...the tough ones!

Dogdoc4u :

They sure are, never an easy answer when that happens :(

Customer:

would not change a thing however

Customer:

It really is not but again thank you

Dogdoc4u :

You are very welcome

Dogdoc4u :

Good luck to you and Maya

Customer:

Thank you

Dogdoc4u :

:)

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian