Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

My rottweiler has a large growth on the back of his rear right

My rottweiler has a large growth on the back of his rear right leg. I have a picture of it. What could it be?

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Can you post the picture for me to see? Click on the paperclip icon to attach the picture to this chat.

Customer:

Sure thing.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

He is "molting" - I don't know if that helps or not. Shedding like crazy, it's that time of year for him.

Dr. Scarlett :

Is there hair on that growth? Is it rather floppy? It looks like a benign growth from the picture--like a skin tag.

Customer:

Yes, it's floppy. It doesn't hurt him either. No hair on it.

Customer:

I used the shedding blade on him just a couple of days ago and didn't see it - can these things grow fast, or did I just miss it all summer? He's an outside dog, I suppose I could have. What do I do about it.

Dr. Scarlett :

Skin growths do sometimes seem to pop up all of a sudden. Or at least owners don't seem to notice them until they are big. At this point I would just monitor it. If it continues to get bigger, seems to bother Hobbes (he licks or scratches at it), or changes in color/consistency, then I would have your vet take a look and do a fine needle aspirate to look at the cells. Or just remove the darn thing and send it off for histopathology. But if there aren't any changes, then you can probably wait until Hobbes' next vet visit and point it out at that time.

Customer:

I get a little cautious about unnecessary procedures. SHOULD it be removed? I have a vet appointment for him on Thursday. If they do remove it, is it hard to do? (Surgery vs. a little local anesthetic).

Customer:

And, my last question (I think) - is it possible it will go away on its own, and is there any way (short of cutting it off myself) that I can help it go away?

Customer:

BRB Dr. Scarlett....

Customer:

Back

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

I've never seen these go away on their own. Don't cut it off on your own! They can be very vascular and have a blood vessel in there that will bleed if not removed properly. But as far as the vet doing it, I would think they could use a sedative to make Hobbes sleepy, then use a local anesthetic in the skin and then cut it off and put in a stitch or two to close the skin. If Hobbes should need his teeth cleaned, that is an excellent time to have it removed. Should it be removed? If it really is just a benign growth, then it can just stay there. If it bothers you or Hobbes, then I would have it taken off.

Customer:

Oh I won't cut it off myself. Thank you for your help!!!

Hi Dawn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hobbes. How is everything going?

Dr. Scarlett