Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My 10 pounds shih tzu accidentally ate a 15 mg morphine sulfate.

My 10 pounds shih tzu accidentally ate a 15 mg morphine sulfate. Is this dangerous?

Dogdoc4u :

Welcome to the chat!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dogdoc4u :

This is a high dose for Panda

Dogdoc4u :

Her high end prescribed dose would be 1 mg

Dogdoc4u :

I would advise giving hydrogen peroxide 3% 1 teaspoon then walking her around to mix the peroxide in her stomach to agitate the lining and induce vomiting

Dogdoc4u :

If no vomiting within 15 minutes please repeat

Dogdoc4u :

If no vomiting within 15 minutes I would advise going to your veterinary er to give something stronger to induce vomiting to remove this from her system

Dogdoc4u :

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with or clarify

Dogdoc4u :

I am going to change formats to ensure you are able to view my responses since time is of the essence

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just gave her the peroxide and we are walking her around. I'm scared!!!

If you are worried (which I completely understand) then I would head to the er now. It will most likely cause heavy sedation but my concern is a slower heart/ respiratory rate and blood pressure. If she is at a veterinary er they can monitor her more readily tonight and give her a reversal medication injection to minimize her signs...
Hi Linda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Panda. How is everything going?

Dogdoc4u