Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a dog that has arthritis in right hip. But within a

weeks time her hip was...
I have a dog that has arthritis in right hip. But within a weeks time her hip was popping out of socket, her legs are collapsing from underneath her and she can't get back up, she now can't go up the stairs, her front paw is dragging when she walk, and she is not sitting. She will either lay down and it is more of a face plant when goes to lay down not gentle at all. She has difficulty getting back up. This has all happened within a week. Took her to the vet last Monday and x-ray showed right hip bad arthritis. Since then all other symptoms are happening. Have her on bone and joint meds, anti inflammatory meds. she isn't eating much, but will still eat. She is going to the bathroom still. Can arthritis really just take over her body like this?
8/19/2013
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Abby.
Yes, arthritis can take a very quick toll on a pet. But! Do we think that hip is the cause of everything?
No, I don't think so.
Either:
1. She has arthritis AND some additional injury that has predisposed her to getting acutely worse.
and/or
2. She also has a spinal issue like a disc herniation that is causing deficits in her legs, and therefore, very difficult walking and holding herself up. The "dragging" when walking is the biggest clue. Dragging, also known as knuckling, is a strong inference for a neurologic problem or disc herniation somewhere in the spine.

Disc Herniation

So, I do feel this is well worth a second opinion, and if near you, a consult with a neurologist would be great.

Find Various Specialists
--> Under "specialty" select SAIM = Small Animal Internal Medicine
--> Or, you can search for a Neurologist, Cardiologist or Oncologist

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Hi Christy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Abby. How is everything going?

Hello. Took her to the vets yesterday and she had a embolism in her spine. She had acupuncture done and then could not move for several hours, but today she is able to move much better. She does have nerve damage on the left side of her body and wasn't pulling away when the vet was pinching her paws. Which also a concern. So we are going to give her a week to see if there is still more improvement and then take her to a neurologist.

Thank you for asking.

christy

Hi Christy,
That sounds like a good plan. I hope everything works out okay.

I had already rated you excellet. Thank you.

Thank you very much.

I'll hope for at least a little progress each day.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director