Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

is desonide topical cream safe to use on Chinese crested. Mine

has broke out in blackheads...
is desonide topical cream safe to use on Chinese crested. Mine has broke out in blackheads all over and brownish discoloured areas on her groins, which seem to be itchy. I have just switched her to a corn/wheatfree diet
8/19/2013
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Dogdoc4u :

Welcome to the chat!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dogdoc4u :

This is a very common condition in this breed

Dogdoc4u :

CLICK HERE to a site that gives recommendations for this condition in this breed

Dogdoc4u :

If you use the desonide cream on a local area, it would be best to wipe it off after ten minutes. Izabella will absorb the cream very quickly and it is best for her not to ingest it so wiping off with a washclothe after application and absorption is ideal

Dogdoc4u :

Since the main ingredient is petroleum jelly it will not be harmful in small amounts but it is ideal to prevent this ingestion

Dogdoc4u :

Maintenance of the Hairless variety's skin is similar to maintaining human skin—and as such it can be susceptible to acne, dryness, and sunburn.

Dogdoc4u :

Some Cresteds have skin allergies to Lanolin, so be cautious when using any products that contain it.

Customer:

is there any other creams you could suggest? and I am aware is common for the breed, she did have some but is getting worse, would you know the cause? possibly a bacterial, fungus infection? I am thinking that as she has brownish areas in her groins and under front legs (armpits). Would first washing her with an antibacterial soap be ok, and then applying the desonide?

Dogdoc4u :

Yes, washing with the soap daily is critical

Dogdoc4u :

The areas that are more common to have this are due to moisture so daily washing can help minimize this moisture buildup

Customer:

and how many times a day should I apply the desonide, daily? BID?

Dogdoc4u :

Once to twice daily should be fine. I would start with twice then if that is helping taper to once daily

Dogdoc4u :

Were you able to open the link that lists recommendations from breeders regarding brands, etc?

Customer:

any suggestions for what kind of antibacterial soap is the best to use?

Dogdoc4u :

CLICK HERE for an owner of chinese cresteds who created her own skin care line for the breed

Dogdoc4u :

I cannot guarantee her products are still available but it is a start

Dogdoc4u :

A high quality oatmeal-based shampoo is ideal

Dogdoc4u :

It soothes the skin and is bland as well

Customer:

if it does not improve after a week or so, should I take her to see is an oral pill is needed(antibiotic?)

Dogdoc4u :

CLICK HERE for another link to a shampoo recommendation

Dogdoc4u :

Yes, it would be advised

Dogdoc4u :

If you are able to take pics that would be great, weekly to be monitoring for improvement or progression

Customer:

thanks so much for the info..will try

Dogdoc4u :

Great!

Dogdoc4u :

Can I assist with any additional questions this evening?

Dogdoc4u :

Since these thrive on moisture I would try the shampoo and moisturizer first and if no change then perhaps try the desonide

Dogdoc4u :

If no change within 3-5 days

Customer:

no..you were a great help. I did not feel safe apply a medicated rx cream until I asked a vet. thank you so much

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian