Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

O

O
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/19/2013
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Dogdoc4u :

Welcome to the chat!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dogdoc4u :

I am so sorry but your original question did not come through. It just states, "what I mentioned, cleaned with shampoo..."

Dogdoc4u :

Could you please restate what the issue is with Ruby? Thank you for your patience!

Customer: She is a choc lab I gave her a bath about 5days ago and noticed that she had a spot in her fur between her eye and ear where the fur wasn't following the growth pattern of the area, it was crispy and hard, so I just washed it gently and when she was dry ai dabbed some olive oil on the area to try to loosen the fur so that I could examine the area,. I cleaned her ears today and looked at this bad spot, Put olive oil on q-tips to clean ears and olive oil on cotton balls for skin. Her hair covering the area came out in tiny tufts that were crispy at the root end. The area is leaf shaped about 1 1/2 by 1 in. Leaf shape and the skin underneath is irritated with raised areas that look a lot like ring worm except not circles within circles but meandering lines that look random kinda like paisley, the path is a crevice and puffy along side, did not bleed but looks weepy and red, I put iodine on it and she wouldn't let me mess with her for a little while, must have hurt.
Dogdoc4u :

It sounds like she might have a hot spot. Unfortunately hot spots thrive on moisture and the olive oil likely exacerbated things

Dogdoc4u :

CLICK HERE for more information on this condition

Dogdoc4u :

I do tend to see this 1.) Most commonly in labs, 2.) on the cheek where you mentioned this is located

Dogdoc4u :

The treatment for these is going to be to shave the hair around the area to healthy tissue. Often this requires a vet visit because the pain and discomfort of the area and to remove the dead/ dying tissue and matted hair

Dogdoc4u :

Then using an antibiotic shampoo daily to twice daily with ten minutes contact time to reduce the infection

Dogdoc4u :

Often antibiotics and even steroids are needed to treat these inflammatory responses because they can be quite severe

Dogdoc4u :

Please let me know if you are able to open the link I attached and have any questions in regards XXXXX XXXXX information within

Customer: Fyi I have had skin problem that has meandering path if what looks like sewing stitches that are white, feels like a needle, dr doesn't know for sure about but prompted lyme test, I was positive with Lyme Ehrlichia and Babesia. I had ruby tested cuz I have pulled a tick off her eye lid but her test was neg. we have chickens and a cat that lives indoors with Ruby that supplements his cat food with deermice, birds, moles,and other stuff, Also Ruby wades in a small stagnant pond that has frogs Polly wogs ,Mosquitos and the like living there. she always goes potty in there (both) but still likes to wade up to her tummy in the pond
Dogdoc4u :

Sounds like you have a Lab! The information you have provided (not all of it but some) is exactly like another Labrador that came in with the same signs last week

Dogdoc4u :

Doing better now, with the medicated shampoo and antibiotics along with antihistamines

Dogdoc4u :

On a scale of one to ten, ten being the most itchy where would you put her discomfort?

Customer: 5
Dogdoc4u :

OK, not too bad.

Dogdoc4u :

Do you have benadryl at home? If so what mg and how much does she weigh?

Customer: she sleeps alot and pant breathes prolonged a lot but always has
Dogdoc4u :

Do you have an oatmeal-based shampoo? Or a previously dispensed medicated shampoo?

Customer: Benadryl yes she weighs , I'm guessing about 77, she's dieting
Dogdoc4u :

Which mg benadryl? Adult 25 mg?

Customer: shampoo medicated, I use baby. On her face
Dogdoc4u :

Which medicated shampoo do you have?

Customer: lookimg
Dogdoc4u :

OK great thank you

Customer: Yep 25 mg, also have 100 mg doxacycline ,mepron liquid and azyrithrimycine 500 mg.
Dogdoc4u :

OK, I would give THREE 25 mg benadryl (1 mg/ pound) every 8 hours for the itchiness

Dogdoc4u :

The doxycycline and azithromycin are not effective for this type of infection

Dogdoc4u :

And I don't like putting topicals on a hot spot because it traps in moisture and causes it to get bigger

Customer: Magic coat shampoo
Dogdoc4u :

I am not sure what that is, I can look it up if you have a moment

Dogdoc4u :

It appears there are quite a variety of them, can you give me more information?

Dogdoc4u :

Do you have an oatmeal-based dog shampoo or ivory soap?

Customer: No but can buy some oatmeal
Dogdoc4u :

The more mild soaps/ shampoos are best. Oatmeal-based dog shampoo is mild and it soothes the skin as well

Dogdoc4u :

10 minute contact time before rinsing

Dogdoc4u :

But it is critical to shave the area (if you have clippers otherwise you need to get her to your vet) to remove the matted hair and stimulate healing.

Dogdoc4u :

Also, commonly these do require antibiotics, cephalexin or keflex to heal

Customer: I'll have the vet shave it cuz it looks so sore I'm afraid I might pus too hard
Dogdoc4u :

It is pretty painful to clip, I concur having them shave it doesn't allow you to be the bad guy too

Dogdoc4u :

But for now you can give the benadryl to keep her comfortable

Dogdoc4u :

Apply the shampoo you do have to the area and leave it on 10 minutes then rinse it off until you are able to get in (twice daily)

Dogdoc4u :

No ointments/ salves on it until your vet evaluates it

Customer: O.k Thank you
Dogdoc4u :

You are welcome

Dogdoc4u :

Can I assist with any additional questions or clarify anything today?

Customer: No how can I give you bonus?
Dogdoc4u :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX very kind

Dogdoc4u :

Once you have rated, the next screen asks you if you would like to add a bonus

Customer: o.k. Thanks again for peace of mind till we see reg doc
Dogdoc4u :

You are very welcome

Dogdoc4u :

Please don't hesitate to contact me if anything changes or you need further assistance in the future!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Hi Deborah,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ruby. How is everything going?

Dogdoc4u
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian