Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog got into my meds from surgery and I think he may have

injested 2 of my Noroc...
My dog got into my meds from surgery and I think he may have injested 2 of my Noroc 5/325 pain pills. I was gone for about 4 hours to my daughter, can these kill him if he ate them? He weighs about 120 pounds.
8/18/2013
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

The bad news. Ace got into some of the pills.
The good news. It was only 2 tablets and he is a good size dog! At 120 pounds, there is far less concern compared to if he was 20 pounds.

Now, as far as the acetominophen in the tablets. Dogs can take 5 to 10mg per pound of this drug. So, even at only 5mg and weighing 120 pounds, that's 600mg. He ate at most 650, so that is good news!

I see no reason to have to induce vomiting or emergency attention.

I would monitor for any bad vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, or seeing blood in the stool.
Also, Ace may get a bit sedated.

If any symptoms develop, he may need to get into a vet for some basic supportive care.
Unless there was some irregular allergic reaction to it, I have no reason to believe 2 tablets would be fatal.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Thank you so much. I was just so worried and he is like my child. I knew it wasn't good for him but just wasnt sure if I needed to be hunting a ER vet. You are great.

You are welcome. Since we have no idea how long ago they were ingested, giving any extra food at this point may not be of any benefit.

I would just continue to monitor closely.

Good Luck.
Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Dr. Andy, Medical Director