Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 4.5 month old great dane puppy was dxed with giardia last

Tues it has been 5...
My 4.5 month old great dane puppy was dxed with giardia last Tues it has been 5 days on Metronidazole. Stools were looking better an avg of 3 stools a day with only one being like soft serve or pudding. Now that is has been 5 days should I be seening more imporovement. Vet gave me Metrondiazole 14 pills one given daily

I love how the side effects are the same things Giardia causes.
8/18/2013
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

Strange.
I am a bit surprised your vet is trying to treat giardia infection with only once a day metronidazole. I cannot recommend, by law, that you change how much you are giving or how often, but I would question why they are not doing it twice daily.

Also!
Most vets are now using Panacur (fenbendazole) to treat giardia infection. It's a liquid or powder that is given once a day for 5 days, wait 2 weeks, and then repeat the 5 day treatment.
Most vets agree that panacur is far more effective at getting rid of giardia.

So, honestly, yes, you may see some improvement at 5 days, but I am concerned that the current treatment plan may not get rid of the infection entirely.

Remember, a fecal test should be repeated about 7-10 days after all medication is finished to ensure the infection is gone. Not immediately after, but a delay of about 7-10 days.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

I have 2 other dogs who don't show signs of it. I have been in my home for 15 years. She just got her last parvo shot 3 weeks ago so only has been to 2 parks.

Her poop does have a shiny greasy look to it.

Could this be something else?

Should I call my vet and ask for Panacur? The vet I saw was visiting from Sac. I live just a few cities away from Davis.

I have read that Panacur is better. But also can be an issue with heartworms. Which she does not have and had been on prevention.

I have little kid and the bleaching and extra cleaning and even wiping her bum aftger a stool is getting old.

I should also mention she has been eating fine, playing like normal not signs of this but for the loose stools.

When I took her in they were clear and foamy and tech said they got a very small sample.

many questions...
please give me a few minutes to review and a few more to respond.

Could it be something else?
I don't understand. She was diagnosed with it. Didn't she have a fecal test done, or is the vet guessing if she has giardia?

Tech got a small sample?
Do you know if they sent the sample out to a laboratory or did they tell you the results the same day?

The first thing the vet said when she say her is she looked fine. But he thought maybe she had Giardia.

Then tech took her in the back. brought her back said they got a very small sample (which I believe since her last poop was right before I brought her in and it was clear and foamy).

Then came back 15 to 20 mins later telling me it Giardia. So no they didn't not send it out.

Okay Rochelle.

I think it is time to consult a new vet.

Follow these guidelines and submit a new fecal sample:

Bring in a fresh poop sample to the veterinarian. Ideally, within a few hours. Request that it be sent “OUT” to the laboratory instead of being looked at in the hospital (more accurate that way). We are not interested in only worm eggs, but also checking for the very common microscopic bugs like giardia and coccidia. These types of parasites will not be cured with over-the-counter dewormers. Giardia can also be difficult to identify on routine fecal tests, so ask your vet if they always add a “giardia elisa” to the fecal test. Here is more detailed information about fecal testing:
Fecal Testing

Yes I would ask the new vet about starting a course of Panacur, as well as, bring your flagyl to the visit so they can review the dose being given and adjust accordingly.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?

I even brought in 2 samples of her poop that were only at most an hour old they just looked at them and threw them out telling me it had to be fresh.

I have a puppy pkg with them that I have to pay the rest of the year. :( which is a bummer. Been to this office 6 times with her since I am doing the single shots to help keep HOD and Pano at bay. I have seen 3 different vets.

I been reading up on Giardia and what I read and what the vet was telling me just don't add up. All of her other fecal test for worms have been negative and she has had 4 wormings now.

I will see what I can do to get out of my pkg deal. And see a new vet. One of the vets in the office I really like maybe I can call and see if she is available. Maybe she can start her on the Panacur.

Again Rochelle.

New Vet!

1 hour is plenty fresh.

Fecal tests are not just for worms. They are for also identifying microscopic bugs like giardia or coccidia.

Yes, maybe the one vet you like can help!

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Hi Rochelle,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Helga. How is everything going?

Dr. Andy, Medical Director