Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

My Vet prescribed 750mg of Chlorothiazide twice daily for treatment

My Vet prescribed 750mg of Chlorothiazide twice daily for treatment of Diabetes Insipidus. She is Lab that weighs about 75 pounds an is about 11-12 years old (rescue puppy). It seem like this is a high dose (3 pills at 250mg in the morning and 3 pill at 250mg at night.) I verified the dosage with the Vet. Does this sound like too much to you?

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

This dose is actually on the low side of the dose range for Jessie's weight. So it seems an appropriate place to start. She can have that dose increased if it doesn't seem to be helping.

Dr. Scarlett :

For the one dog I had that had DI, I actually used DDAVP. Rather expensive (I don't know the cost of the chlorothiazide), but very effective.

Dr. Scarlett :

Did your vet do any sort of water deprivation test to diagnose the DI?

Customer:

I think so. I had her in for two different tests. Both times I had to stop water and food after 8 pm the night before the tests.

Dr. Scarlett :

Ok, you might just double-check if one of the tests was a modified water deprivation test. I'm going to guess the other test was for Cushings. In any case, 750 mg twice a day is the place I would have started. If it doesn't seem to be helping, then talk to your vet about increasing the dose. She could actually got to almost double that amount!

Customer:

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overdosing her. I have an excellent Vet, but I just wanted to verify the dosage. Thanks again for your help. Will this just be a one time charge to my creidit card?

Dr. Scarlett :

It should be, unless you asked for a subscription. If you have a problem, our customer service people are excellent. But I think you should be fine.

Customer:

Thanks again. I feel much better and hopefully so will she.

Hi Sandie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jessie. How is everything going?

Dr. Scarlett