Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

I have an 8 year old weimaraner who was fine last night, but

I have an 8 year old weimaraner who was fine last night, but is having trouble getting up and walking today. he sees weak in his hindquarters. He doesn't seem sick, is eating and drinking well, has had a normal looking bowel movement, but is walking wobbly. I have checked all four legs which seem normal and he doesn't flinch like he's in pain. We are a long way from a vet - any advice, or symptoms that sound life threatening. He has been at home and not had any heavy exercise recently.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Potter.

Tough question.
I have to assume a few possible explanations.

1. We cannot rule-out that this is some exacerbation of underlying arthritis problems. AT this age for a wiemaraner, that is very plausible.

2. Diabetes. Well known to cause weakness

3. A injury that may have occurred, including problems with the spine like a disc herniation are possible as well.

Excellent that he is still eating and drinking. I would be reluctant to suggest you give any over the counter pain medication, as most of them can be a bit upsetting to the stomach.

But, to be walking "wobbly" does suggest maybe a spinal issue, as disc herniations are diagnosed quite often.

So, without some additional testing like spinal x-rays and at least a basic blood test, it will be really impossible to get a definitive diagnosis to the cause.

If his symptoms persist for even 24 hours, or if he gets progressively worse, a vet trip will be a must!

Symptoms of greatest concern:
1. Excessive panting to suggest pain
2. Inability to walk at all or remaining wobbly
3. Loss of appetite

Very sorry to hear Potter is not feeling well. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank for for your prompt response. Since he is not displaying any of the 3 symptoms of greatest concern, I will keep him comfortable and take hime to a vet if it worsens or he shows no signs of improvement. Thanks again.