Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 2 year old female maltipoo and she just vomited and

has been having trouble pooping...
I have a 2 year old female maltipoo and she just vomited and has been having trouble pooping the past two days. She's trying and pushing hard, but nothing is coming out. She is also hiding and lethargic. Should I be concerned?
8/3/2013
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Snowflake.
Yes, this is quite serious and absolutely now warrants a veterinary examination.

She is either straining because of colitis (inflammation in the colon) which would have manifested as bad diarrhea in the past 2 days or she is severely impacted.

Quite a few pets will vomit because they are straining so bad from constipation. This cannot be remedied with at home care.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.

Do not give any over the counter laxatives. it will cause severe abdominal cramping and probably very bad vomiting.

Definitely, well worth a vet visit!
Very sorry to hear she is not feeling well.
I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Thanks Dr. Andy. Should ee take her to the vet ER now? Or, wait until the morning. Just trying to gauge whether or not immediate action is required. Your answer was not clear on that.

Hi Steve,
If there is any active straining to defecate right now or panting (which can easily suggest pain or nausea), Yes, I would go to the ER vet now.

Especially, if she seems agitated or restless, otherwise, she may be like that all night.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory.
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Dr. Andy, Medical Director