Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Hi.My English Bulldog (aged six months) has developed small,

Hi. My English Bulldog (aged...

Hi. My English Bulldog (aged six months) has developed small, red bumps on her legs. She does not seem to be losing any hair. Whilst they are mainly on her legs, there are a few isolated bumps on her body to. She seems to be happy, and her mood doesn't seem to of changed, but she does itch them. I cannot think of any changes to her food, or environment. We have started giving her 'Green-ums' which do contain yeast however. Any ideas what may be causing this? Thank you

7/31/2013
Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Hi there. It sounds like Winnie has allergies, possibly complicated by a skin infection. Although any dog can develop an allergy to anything at any time, the most common time for allergies to develop is between 6 months and 3 years of age. Right now, you are approaching the worst allergy season for dogs, and there are some things you can do to make Winnie more comfortable.

-Benedryl, given at 1 mg/lb of dog (1 adult Benedryl per 25 lb of dog) up to 3 times a day can be helpful in stopping the itching. I find that they tend to lick off topical sprays, and that Benedryl often works better.

-Bathe her weekly in oatmeal shampoo, and wipe her down with a damp towel when she comes inside to remove pollen from her skin that may encourage her allergies.

-If the problems persist, visit your vet. Scratching can drive bacteria under the skin, where they grow out of control, and cause further itching and rashes. A round of antibiotics can often be very helpful in getting rid of the rash.

-If the problems persist into winter, the allergy may be food-related. Talk to your vet about ways to change her diet to avoid common allergens. Limited ingredient diets can be very helpful in these dogs.

Allergies are very common in English bulldogs, and tend to get worse from year to year. Benedryl and bathing are enough to manage about 30% of cases, but the rest of the dogs with allergies need prescription medication. I do recommend discussing this with your vet, so that you can manage her allergies over time.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.

Hi Dr Taus

Do you think this could be Hives?

Also with regards XXXXX XXXXX food, is there anything we should be avoiding? I noticed that there is Maize in her food, but she has been eating the same food since she was 8 weeks old.

Regards

Hives are usually large (dime sized) and raised, and they usually aren't red. You just see patches where the skin is raised. They are also usually a symptom of something irritating the skin, and usually lead to a diagnosis of allergies.

While avoiding grains is a fad right now, there are lots of dogs out there that eat foods with corn in them that do just fine. It's just a matter of what, specifically, she is allergic to. This could be any of the ingredients in the dog food. I think with the timing it's more likely to be an environmental allergen-- grass, pollen, etc-- and I would pursue that before changing her food. The food is something to think about if she continues to be itchy after the grass and pollen are gone for the year.

In order to get signs of an allergy, the immune system has to "see" the offending thing, like pollen or something in the food. At first, nothing happens. Then, when the immune system "sees" that thing again, it mistakes it for an invading germ and attacks. Then we see symptoms of allergies. As such, it's very unusual for an allergy to pop up the first time the dog is exposed to a food or anything like that. It can easily be something she's been exposed to for a long time, which makes figuring out what the culprit is complicated.

I'd advise going the conservative route and treating this like a mild case of allergies with the Benedryl and baths first, and see where that gets you. I have lots of patients that start out this time of year with a minor skin infection, get a week or two of antibiotics, and stay on Benedryl for the rest of allergy season and do just fine. There are some that need more management, but try the easy way first and see if it is enough.

Hi Dr Taus

Thank you for this.

One last question. The small bumps are very firm. They do not hurt Winnie if I press them however. Does this again point to an allergy? We started her on Benedryl which hopefully will help, but I guess we need to find the source of the allergy.

Regards

Rob

It points to an allergy as the initial cause, but it doesn't rule out an infection due to scratching the itchy skin. If the Benedryl controls her itching but the rash remains, you may need to visit the vet for antibiotics.
Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Hi Bob,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Winnie. How is everything going?

DrTaus
Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian