Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Pekingese all of a sudden started vomiting Monday night.

Took her to the vet...
My Pekingese all of a sudden started vomiting Monday night. Took her to the vet Tuesday put her on Cerenia and did some tests. Took her home. She didn't get better. Thought she might have swallowed something but several X-rays showed nothing. Decided not to do surgery after keeping her overnight and observing her all day yesterday. . After blood tests an iv, urinalysis, ultrasound, he thought she might have a small lung infection and pneumonia. Broight her home and have to give her Baytril. This morning she is alert but doesn't want to be picked up and hasn't eaten or drank anything yet. ShouldnI be worried or is this some side effect of the meds and it will take a couple of days for her to recover? Please advise. I am so hoping she will perk up to her old self soon. Thanks
5/25/2013
brisadog

Hi, I'm Dr. Friend. I'll help you make a plan for little Isabella.

When is the last time she vomited?

When you say she is alert, is she moving around and active?

The last time she vomited was Tuesday morning. She watches me all the time with her eyes and will turn around with her body so she can see me. She will walk outside to go potty then come right back In and lay down. She usually sleeps in the mornings even when she feels good. Tried to feed her a little bit and she did not want to eat. Is this the Baytril making her so tired?
Am I doing all that I can to get Isabella well? My vet is not open until Tuesday.

I'm so sorry for the delay, I'm on call this weekend and we had an emergency.

Isabella's case is a difficult one to interpret. From what you describe, I think we can safely infer that she still has some degree of GI upset even though the vomiting has resolved. She also sounds somewhat lethargic. The hard part is trying to figure out the underlying cause of these signs. The GI upset may still be from the original illness that isn't completely resolved, or it may be secondary to the Baytril administration. Her lethargy may be secondary to her GI upset, or it could be from something more significant such as a foreign body or obstruction.

The inactivity, coupled with her reluctance to eat and drink, still has me concerned. Pneumonia would cause respiratory signs and depression, but would not cause vomiting - I think this is a red herring.

I do not think we can completely rule out ingestion of something foreign at this point. I recommend having her evaluated again - signs can change rapidly, especially in these little ones. I would start with a physical exam and possibly recheck abdominal radiographs. At the very least, they can change the antibiotic from Baytril to something else such as Clavamox. They can also give an appetite stimulant like mirtazapine. She may need additional fluids given since she hasn't been drinking.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any way by the website unless you Accept). Thanks!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Friend..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Isabella just ate some chicken and drank water. She walked out and went potty. She is taking her afternoon nap right now. Does the med she is taking take a while to work. She has only been on it since yesterday. She seems to have pain when you pick her around her chest. Does the med make her tired? She is usually ornery especially in the morning and evening. She usually sleeps most of the day even when she feels good. What is a good way to get that big pill down her. I've tried wrapping it in every food I can think of. Thanks for any advice.

Terrific! I'm really glad that she ate and drank. Yes, the antibiotic can take some time before we see much effect. I do NOT expect it to make her sleepy though.

Those pills are tough. Baytril tablets can be safely split, so it might be easier to hide halves or quarters of those pills in something yummy. You can try peanut butter, butter, wrap in cold cuts, or sliced cheese.

If she won't take them willingly, you may be able to find a pill shooter so that you don't have to put your fingers into her mouth. These are available at pet stores like Petsmart.

Since she did eat some, I would watch her for the next few hours. As long as she doesn't vomit, continue to offer small amounts of chicken. You can entice her to drink with low sodium chicken broth or dilute tuna juice also. If she eats more and holds it down, we might be on our way to recovery.

Is it OK to grind the pill down to very little pieces and mix it with something? She has such a good sense of smell, I think she can smell the pill when I break it into fourths. She only has to take half of the pill each evening for 14 days, but even half of that pill is huge for a little peke to swallow. I have tried yogurt, roast beef cheese peanut butter, put it in one of her snacks and she refuses to eat it. What kind of improvement do you think I should see in Isabella before calling the vet on Tuesday. I think she has had every test done other than drinking barium and having exploratory surgery.

It's not a good idea to grind the pill. Once you mix it into something, she's unlikely to eat it and then you can't get the pill back!

I think she should be nearly normal by Tuesday. If she isn't steadily improving over the weekend, I would still consider an emergency room visit. We do have our fair shares of exploratory surgery each year...unfortunately sometimes it is necessary!

brisadog
I forgot to me to mention that while the X-rays showed nothing, Isabella's white blood count was high. That's why the vet put her on an antibiotic for infection. Do you think this is the procedure to do. It's always good to get a second opinion. If she is not a lot better by Tuesday I will take her back to the vet. Do you think exploratory surgery is the next step. Thanks so much for your help

Your vet was taking a precaution because of the white blood cell count. This is not necessarily indicative of infection, but only reliably indicates inflammation - which could be due to infection, immune-mediated disease, physical changes (irritation/inflammation from a foreign object), etc.

Without anything else concrete to treat, I think your vet just wanted to be sure they had the bases covered.

I can't say for sure that exploratory surgery is the next step. If she continues to have GI signs, lethargy, and abdominal pain, this would be an appropriate diagnostic step. Even if there is nothing grossly found during surgery, your vet should take biopsy samples of many different tissues to be submitted to a pathologist.

brisadog
brisadog
brisadog