Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I am currently using previcox to treat my dog's prostate and…

I am currently using previcox...
I am currently using previcox to treat my dog's prostate and bladder cancer and he is having a second bout with colitis. I had great success treating him with metronidazole the first time around and am currently using that same treatment. It appears as though the previcox is doing a wonderful job at keeping the growth of the tumors at a very slow pace however I am concerned that the metronidazole isn't going to be as effective unless I stop the previcox since that could be what caused the colitis to begin with. Obviously I want to continue to slow the growth of the tumors but not at the risk of my dog developing another serious health issue. Should I stop the previcox until the colitis completely clears up?
5/17/2013
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name is***** will try to help.
1. Are you still giving the previcox now?
2. How long has he been on the metronidazole?
3. Do you thing that his colitis symptoms are improving?

I administered one previcox today around 2pm. He's been on metronidazole since Tuesday morning. I noticed he wasn't needing to go as frequently on the metronidazole. I'm only concerned about stopping the previcox altogether because his newest ultrasound shows some tumor growth. The stool this evening had some blood and he "dragged" his bum after finishing.

I think it would be best to stop the previcox for now. Hopefully his stools will be back to normal in 2-3 days. That really will not be a big deal in terms of tumor control. So stop the previcox until the stools are normal.
I have a few other ideas as well.
If he is not already on a stomach acid reducer, like pepcid, zantac, or tagamet, that may help reduce his chances of getting colitis as well. You can give the human stomach acid reducers twice a day. If he is not already on it now, he should be. The bleeding indicates severe inflammation in his intestines. Anytime there is bleeding, then we want to reduces any excess acid in the gastrointestinal tract. All of the stomach acid reducers can be given with metronidazole. It may help to keep him on the stomach acid reducers even when he is not having colitis. The usual dose is 1/4 of a tablet per 15 pounds of weight every 12 hours.
There is also a medication, called "carafate or surcralfate," that can put a protective gel over any bleeding areas in the gastrointestinal tract. It is a prescription medication so you would have to get it from your vet.
Probiotics may help him as well. The probiotics help put the good bacteria back into the intestines. Chronic use, of any medication, can alter the good verses bad bacteria in the intestines. A good probiotic, to use, is fortiflora by purina. You can buy it online and at petsmart. Yogurt, with active cultures, can be helpful too.
I hope this helps.
If you have additional questions, please click "reply."
Thanks

He has suffered from severe pancreatitis in the past also and is on misoprostol twice a day in conjunction with the once a day dose of previcox, should I still try an antacid in addition to the misoprostol?

Poor guy. He really has a lot going on. Yes, use the acid reducer in addition to the misoprostil. You can give the medications at the same time if desired.
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian