Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Can I clean my dog's ears with peroxide and follow with

neosporin? He has an ear...
can I clean my dog's ears with peroxide and follow with neosporin? He has an ear infection and I can't afford the vet bill.
5/5/2013
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Dogdoc4u :

Welcome to the chat!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dogdoc4u :

I would not apply peroxide into the ear

Dogdoc4u :

You can use a 50/50 white vinegar and water solution with cotton balls every other day to remove the debris and help resolve an infection but if there is still an odor or redness a return visit to the veterinary office is going to be required in order to get a prescription topical to stop an infection

Dogdoc4u :

Neosporin is also not advised in the ear because it is not safe for the inner or middle ear

Dogdoc4u :

The best thing at this point is regular, consistent cleaning with the 50/50 white vinegar and water

Dogdoc4u :

You can also use 1 mg/ pound benadryl every 8-12 hours to help with the itch if Harley is also uncomfortable...

Dogdoc4u :

Please let me know if this information makes sense and I can assist you further

Dogdoc4u :

You should also start him on fish oil with 1000 mg EPA & DHA (omega fatty acids) to aid in skin health, which includes the ears. This might not help with this infection but can help prevent infections recurring down the road...

Dogdoc4u :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any way by the website unless you Accept). Thanks!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Thank you so much for your great suggestions! I am on my way to the store right now to get fish oil capsules. I have vinegar and will be trying this also. Is it ok to drop into ears? Or just with cotton balls on outer ear?

Great, glad you found my answers helpful!
Please make sure the fish oil has the EPA & DHA in them because some do not...
Dunk the cotton balls into the solution and wipe the ear with the cotton ball only as far as your finger can reach (any further can cause damage to the inner ear). There is a curve in the ear and this is the point you would not pass...
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Can I assist with any additional questions today?