Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 8 year old German Shorthaired Pointer (85lbs) came in

Hi. My 8 year old...
Hi. My 8 year old German Shorthaired Pointer (85lbs) came in from outside limping - favoring his back right side. It is slushy and snowing here in MN so we checked his paws for ice chunks and cuts - found nothing. He's twisted an ankle before and this seems different - like he hurt his upper knee instead of his lower ankle. So, we've gave him one baby aspirin (81mg) ~ about 20 minutes ago. But.. .just now I realized his penis looks funny - very swollen at the base making the tip crooked. I am assuming he pulled a groin muscle and we plan to take him to our regular vet in the morning. He ate supper fine (before we realized it was probably more than just a sore joint.) My question is... is there anything else we should be doing for him in the meantime? Is it okay to let him have water or should we take it away? The vet opens at 7am and we plan to be there when they open. Thanks for any ideas/suggestions etc. Sadly... .if repairs are more than $600, we will probably have to put him down. :'( >sigh< THANK YOU!!!!
4/19/2013
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, and welcome,

My name is***** am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me fifteen minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott

Great - no problem. :)

Hello again and thanks for waiting

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

1. Firstly if he was OK before he went outside and then was limping immediately after he came in then if the limp is not too severe you are probably right, hopefully this is just a muscular strain or sprain.

2. " My question is... is there anything else we should be doing for him in the meantime? " : If this is just a simple strain or sprain then many owners would try and handle the situation with strict rest plus an anti-inflammatory drug such as aspirin. If this is just a simple strain or sprain then with luck a couple of days rest and then a gradual return to exercise may well resolve things.

On a short term home remedy aspirin would be much safer and more effective than the other over the counter human pain killers and aspirin is in any case sometimes prescribed for dogs. A typical dose rate would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgment whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications etc. : LINK

3. " Is it okay to let him have water or should we take it away? " : I think you would be doing no harm by just treating him as you normally would in terms of food and water in the meantime.

4. As far as the appearance of the penis goes this is a bit strange but would rarely be of much significance and this sort of thing can rapidly change anyway. Just keep an eye on it for the meantime.

5. Of course if things deteriorate or you become further concerned the safest thing to do would be to have an ER vet check your dog over. This would rarely be necessary though ...

I hope I have given you a few ideas and covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Hello again,
Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating and bonus, this is very much appreciated. If I can ever advise you again at any point in the future then please do not hesitate to get back in touch.
Kindest regards ***** ***** luck with Jackson,
Scott
Hello again,
I am just getting back in touch to see how Jackson is getting on.
How are things going at present?
Regards,
Scott
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian