Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog's ears are irritated. she has a hot spot on top of…

my dog's ears are irritated...
my dog's ears are irritated. she has a hot spot on top of her head and the ears have a crusty and dirty on outside near inside of ear on fur. she is shaking her head a little. she is on frontline but it is spring, so maybe fleas? i do clean ears with wash from vet. i washed 2wks ago.
4/6/2013
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for writing in. I want to make sure I am picturing this correctly.
Is the crusting and debris around the opening of her ear canal and all along the inside portion of her ear pinna (visible portion of the ear that covers the opening)?
Where exactly on her head, in relation to both ears, is the hot spot?

The crusting is only on her fur near the ear opening, not inside the canal. It is similar to the crusting on the hotspot. hotspot is size of quarter and has a dry scab rather than open sore.

I forgot to tell you where the hot spot is in the middle of both ears directly on top of her head.

Thanks. I am not quite sure what you mean about the fur near the ear opening, though. Are you talking about the ear canal opening (external auditory canal on the diagram)? There usually isn't hair here, unless it is growing from inside the ear canal. If there are any lesions near any of these structures on the diagram, can you please tell me where?

yellow crust near tragus and below (totally outside of ear), no lesions, just dry flaky, her ears are still dirty. should I clean with wash again?

It is actually about 3" from her eyes near both ears. I am sure related to the hot spot irritation.

Am I being charged $14 each time you respond?

Thank you very much. I would try cleaning the ears again. Fill the ear canal with the cleaning solution, massage the base of the ear for about 30-60 seconds and her shake her head. Clean the excess with a cotton ball. You can repeat if there is a lot of debris in the ear. If she is shaking the head often and has this discharge or inflammation situated this close to the ear canal opening, she most likely has an ear infection. Cleaning alone will not resolve this. She would need some type of antifungal, antibacterial or combination ear medication to clear the infection and relieve inflammation. With the hot spot on top of the head, it may or may not be related to rubbing the ears. In most cases, this is an environmental or food allergy. Flea allergies usually start around the rear end, especially at the base of the tail. If there is hair loss, skin redness/flaking or black "dirt" in this area, then fleas are a big possibility. The hot spot is really just a deep seated infection in the skin. The hair around it needs to be shaved, the lesion needs to be cleaned with an antiseptic (usually chlorhexidene or povidone iodine) and she most likely needs to be on oral antibiotics. If you can still get her to your vet today, I would recommend having them look at it and get her started on treatment, so it doesn't get worse over the weekend. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
No. You are only being charged when you give a rating. Thanks.
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian