Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Can I give my 102 lb. black lab Turmeric Extract to help with

Can I give my 102 lb. black lab Turmeric
Extract to help with his stiffness; & if so, how much? Thx.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Tumeric or Curcumin is known as a natural anti inflammatory to help with arthritis or stiffness like Rocky is suffering from. The extract is much more concentrated and this is given starting at 125 mg daily up to 250 mg daily for a dog Rocky's size. It is important that Rocky is not on another NSAID such as Rimadyl since it can interfere with this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Rocky is on Cetyl M, Nordic Naturals Omega-3 Pet-7,500 mg & Puritan's Pride Double Strength Joint Soother Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM 5 pills a day-3 in morning and 2 at night. Would giving him Turmeric mess with any of these medicines? Thx.

No, Connie...those are all natural medications and will not interfere with the Tumeric extract. They warn that Tumeric can cause stomach ulcers so it is best to start with the lower dose just in case, This is rare but can happen.

Happy Easter!

Thank you so much, Connie for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Rocky's medication.

Have a great day!!

Hi Connie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rocky. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you know where I can find turmeric in this small amt. of milligrams? I haven't found any as yet. It can contain any other inflammitory reduction medicines. I just want to reduce his stiffness. Thanks so much!

HI Connie...

Tumeric can be found at the health food stores ...do not use the extract. This will be given at 1/8 to1/4 teaspoon per 10 pounds of his weight daily.

This LINK explains.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much. You made it much easier for me.

You are always very welcome, Connie...I really hope it helps Rocky!!

Have a great day....Rocky too!!