Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Got home and dog's left front leg is swollen, the whole leg

from paw to shoulder, first...
got home and dog's left front leg is swollen, the whole leg from paw to shoulder, first time this ever happened. does not look like there's an injury
2/15/2013
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Dogdoc4u :

Welcome to the chat!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dogdoc4u :

Wow, so sorry to hear of Kazoo's discomfort

Dogdoc4u :

Can you tell me the temperature of her paw on that leg?

Dogdoc4u :

I apologize if you are having difficulty with the site. I am going to change formats to see if that helps you. Please do not rate until you are satisfied with our conversation because it is a reflection of my ability to assist you not of the functionality of the site. Thank you

Please let me know if you are able to view my responses now. Also, can you tell me when you push on the swelling does it "pit" or leave an indentation or is it the same when you push on it (no indent)?

sorry, i,m receiving your texts now. the leg is not any warmer than the other and when you push on it there is no indentation but she feels discomfort

No worries, sometimes the internet can be a little slow when you need it most! My concern is if it is cooler than the others? Are the pads or nails pink? What is her normal color (if white nails so you can see quicks or pink pads it helps me determine if there is blood flow).
Also, can you please try (if she will let you) use your palm and press it on the inside of her thigh and tell me if you can feel a pulse? You can compare to the opposite side...
Do you have any previously dispensed pain medication you can give her?
Do you have an ability to take her temperature?

her temp is 100.8 taken under her right armpit,and 101 under the left arm pit. we have no medication except for her ear medication and she's been getting that every couple of days as we clean them.the pulse was felt and feels no different than the other

OK great. The fact that there is a pulse and no fever are great signs. Were you able to tell if her pads are pink?
My primary differentials at this point are going to be:
1.) Bug/ snake bite. You might not see a wound
2.) A small bone break in the upper leg which can cause edema down the leg
3.) A vascular incident meaning that there is a clot in the leg causing blood back flow. Why the pulse and color of the toes is so important
4.) A lymphatic obstruction meaning the lymph node system is obstructed for some reason
Do you have any benadryl? It is worth seeing if it helps her and will not harm her...it is 1 mg/ pound diphenhydramine. How much discomfort is she in (1 to 10 scale, ten being more significant)?

we have benadryl and gave her 1/4 pill, no bugs or snakes up here, too cold, a 1 or 2 maximum on level of pain the lymph node sounds like something as she has a couple of fat deposits on her that our vet said were of no concern

Fat deposits or lipomas would not cause this reaction. Can you please tell me how much she weighs? I want to make sure we are giving her an accurate benadryl dose...
1-2/10 means she is not in very much discomfort at all? That is a good sign...you can also try using a towel moistened with warm (not hot) water and wrap the leg which will increase blood flow and hopefully help with the swelling.
Are you planning on taking her to your vet in the morning if there is no change?
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

we'll try the warm towel and yes she's going to the vet tommorrow, thank-you for your help

OK, how much does she weigh? I want to make sure we cannot give her more benadryl? Thanks. If she weighs 12.5 pounds then 1/2 of an adult 25 mg tablet is effective every 6-8 hours. If you can photo the leg tonight so you have reference to show your vet tomorrow that can be helpful as well.
Please let me know how else I can assist you both. I would appreciate you rerating our conversation once you are satisfied to remove the negative rating from my record...
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any way by the website unless you Accept). Thanks!
Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied.  IF you feel the need to click either "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

she's about 28 pounds, how do i remove the negative just re-rate?

you did this so I really appreciate it.
So for her size she can have a full 25 mg adult benadryl every 8 hours...

thanks again and good night

Good night, I will check on you all tomorrow evening :)
How is Kazoo doing? Is his leg alright?
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian