Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog's paw is swollen and occasionally leaks clear fluid

(water). Blood and urine tests...
Dog's paw is swollen and occasionally leaks clear fluid (water). Blood and urine tests are clean, no cancer, no disease, organs healthy, any advice?
12/27/2012
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Is he licking the paw?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- Has your veterinarian biopsy the tissue?
he licks the paw, going on about a month or so.no biopsy
Suggested an ultrasound which is very costly over $700! And that's after paying nearly $400 for the tests of blood, urine and physical exam.
Did they do xrays?
No dog shows no signs of discomfort.
Mary, blood work and urine test very seldom will show any problem with swelling of a paw. In this case, I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about doing xrays or a biopsy to determine the exact underlying cause for the swelling. It is also important to remember that licking will promote swelling, so he needs to be stopped or it will not get better. This is what you can do until he is rechecked by family veterinarian:

1- Need to stop him from licking or it is not going to get better. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at paw.
2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to soak the paw for 5 minutes 2-3 times a day.
3- After soaking paw apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
What do you think could be causing this? My dog can't be the only dog that has this issue but the vet doesn't seem to have any thoughts? Isn't it better that the fluid releases from his body thru his paw rather than staying in his body?
Possible causes could be infections, a foreign body, tumors (either locally within the tissue or bone), auto immune disorders, etc.

If he is building fluid, yes, it is best if the fluid is drain; when you soak is paws use warm water to promote the fluid from coming out of the paw.
Is there a holistic answer to antibiotics for dogs? Or an over the counter? Not sure why vet wouldn't try meds before suggesting a major investment in an ultrasound..
I am not a holistic veterinarian, sorry.

The soap I recommend hibiclens the active ingredient "chlorhexidine" is the best antimicrobial on the market.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Vet called it edema.and it has nothing to do wiith hs feet just that the fluid needs to come out somewhere. could be congetive heart failure but if blood & urine tests are clean ad organs re healthy why wasn't 't a dieurtic prescribed?
Is it one or two paws?

Front or back leg?

Did you have him rechecked?

I am confused, you said in your above intro that all organs were healthy???
Believe me I am confused too. He said all organs are healthy. Blood and urine clean. I guess fluid can build up around heart and make it hard for heart to pump even though the heart organ is healthy? Water leaked out of front paw today. So it's front and back. Seems perfectly happy otherwise.
Mary, heart disease certainly can cause peripheral edema accumulating in the lower extremities. I would recommend you discuss with your veterinarian about his heart. If he is having problems with the heart then treating the heart will make the edema in the limbs better. As you already know if it is related to the heart your dog needs to be on a diuretic among other medications to make his heart function better as a pump. Request to have an echocardiogram of his lungs to evaluate his heart.

Dr. Peter
Thank you Dr. Peter.
Your Welcome.