Dog Veterinary

My 70 pound lab ate a half pound of dark chocolate coated coffee…

My 70 pound lab ate...
My 70 pound lab ate a half pound of dark chocolate coated coffee beans. I got home at 10 PM, probably 2-3 hours after he ate them. I gave him a hydrogen peroxide and water mixture and he threw up what appears to be most if not all of the beans. While the beans were not now covered by chocolate, the vomit was mostly medium brown in color and the... Read full answer
My 70 pound lab ate a half pound of dark chocolate coated coffee beans. I got home at 10 PM, probably 2-3 hours after he ate them. I gave him a hydrogen peroxide and water mixture and he threw up what appears to be most if not all of the beans. While the beans were not now covered by chocolate, the vomit was mostly medium brown in color and the last couple of times he was throwing up the dinner kibble he had eaten 1-2 hours before the coffee beans with only a few beans. I tried to locate activated charcoal at CVS or the Wal Mart pharmacy to give to him to help absorb any remaining toxins but did not have any. What I did find in the pet section for aquariums was a container of activated Charcoal/carbon for fish tank water filters made by Aqua-Tech. The charcoal is in a small pellet form the size of mouse and rat scat. Will this aquarium activated charcoal work and if yes, what would the recommended dose be and the best way to get my lab to ingest it.
Thanks
12/24/2012
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Is Beau currently vomiting at this point? If not when is the last time that he vomited?

Was the dark chocolate on the coffee beans regular dark chocolate or a higher level or cacao then normal?
He is not vomiting at this point and appears to be acting normal. Not hyperactive either. The last time he vomited was an hour to 1 1/4 hours ago. The chocolate was dark chocolate, not milk chocolate and I think it would be the 60% dark level as I have bought other chocolate items from the shop and this seemed similar to it.
Thanks for the additional information.

So far you have done a very good job in helping Beau. Making him vomit was perfect and sounds like he was able to get the beans out which will prevent a lot of potential bad side effects. As you know dark chocolate can be toxic to dogs also as it is much more toxic then milk chocolate. The good news is that a 70 pound dog would need to eat about 10-13 ounces of dark chocolate to potentially see any risks of chocolate toxicity. Since the beans and chocolate together weighed about 8 ounces (which means the amount of dark chocolate was even lower, he really is not at risk of developing any severe signs of chocolate toxicity tonight.

If you still wanted to give Beau some activated charcoal then I would typically recommend giving him the "food grade" charcoal that is available in a capsule or liquid form. I understand that you were not able to fine that which can be frustrating. I would not recommend giving him the Fish charcoal as this may have been processed differently then the food grade and may have not be as safe for him tonight. Since he has not eaten a toxic dose of the chocolate, it is not worth the risk with the fish charcoal.

At this time he still could have some side effects since he may have absorbed some of the chocolate though the side effects would be more due to his stomach and intestines not being used to digesting this type of food not from a toxicity. The best way to help him with that would be to feed him a bland food such as boiled ground beef and rice over the next 2-3 days to allow his stomach time to settle down.

Overall he really should be fine as making him vomit was the best way to help him!

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question!
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Hi Dudley,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Beau. How is everything going?

Dr. Matt
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My chihuahua ate 2 rather large coffee beans. She's about
she's about 8lbs. She's vomited a few times. She's alert … read more
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
78 pound yellow lab ate 2.75 oz bar of 60-70% (?) dark
78 pound yellow lab ate 2.75 oz bar of 60-70% (?) dark chocolate with espresso beans mixed in. I gave him peroxide and he threw up ... but now I'm worried I gave him too much peroxide. I was holding h… read more
Veterinarian,
Sometime in the last two hours he ate about a 1 cup amount
Sometime in the last two hours he ate about a 1 cup amount of white/milk chocolate covered espresso beans. He is about 70 pounds. … read more
DocPaul
DocPaul
Stop searching for answers—
My 57lb 2 year old dog ate about 5oz of coffee beans
Hi my 57lb 2 year old dog ate about 5oz of coffee beans flavored with chocolate and macadamia, flavored not covered. We induced vomitting within a few hours of when we think he ate it, he was acting r… read more
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Senior Small Animal Veterinarian,
BVSc
The dogs got into mouse poisoning. I left a message with
The dogs got into mouse poisoning. I left a message with byergo but he hasn't called back. We think it was bromethaline. We gave them peroxide and they threw a bunch up. I hope we got it all. It all h… read more
Dog Behaviorist/Trainer/Breeder/Health,
3.75 GPA 36cr. Multiple Tech traini
He is a Dachschund about 15 pounds and just eat about 4 or 5
He is a Dachschund about 15 pounds and just eat about 4 or 5 chocolate covered coffee beans … read more
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Veterinarian,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My dog ate 1/4 pound of chocolate covered expresso beans. We
My dog ate 1/4 pound of chocolate covered expresso beans. We gave 2 doses of hydrogen peroxide and she still wont throw up, what do i do??? … read more
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
My dog ate rat poison - contrax - he threw up with peroxide.
my dog ate rat poison - contrax - he threw up with peroxide. can I give him charcoal if yes, how much he is a 1 year old boxer about 65-70 pounds… read more
Veterinarian,
My 55 lb pound black lab boarder collie mix ate a bag of dark
My 55 lb pound black lab boarder collie mix ate a bag of dark chocolate covered espresso beans. Should I take him to the vet to have him induced to vomit? He ate the beans within the last hour.… read more
Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead
Associate Veterinarian,
my 10 month old labradoodle ripped open my soft weight insert.
my 10 month old labradoodle ripped open my soft weight insert. It appears to be a black finely ground metal. He ate a small amount, maybe a tablespoon or more. He has vomited undigested dog kibble twi… read more
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara
Veterinarian,
our 25 lb cockapoo ate a 7 oz bag of chocolate covered expresso
our 25 lb cockapoo ate a 7 oz bag of chocolate covered expresso beans. He has vomited about 6 times and the chocolate and beans are coming out. He is acting a bit hyped up but otherwise seems fine so … read more
Dog Veterinarian,
my saluki just ate a dead mouse that had probably died of decon
my saluki just ate a dead mouse that had probably died of decon poisoning. Should I treat with charcoal. He is 9 months old and weighs 55 pounds. If so, how much charcoal and how do I get it down him?… read more
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Veterinarian,
Stop searching for answers—
We have an 8 month old yellow lab. He weighs 70 pounds. Three
We have an 8 month old yellow lab. He weighs 70 pounds. Three hours ago he ate 4 tablets of Advil PM liquigels. We just induced vomiting using hydrogen peroxide. Saw nothing in the vomit. We are snowe… read more
Dog Veterinarian,
Dog just ate half a box of Lindt chocolate along with candy
My dog just ate half a box of Lindt chocolate along with candy. She is about 55 pounds, black lab mix. What should I do? I fed her normal breakfast of kibbles after the incident.… read more
Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee
Veterinarian,
Our 70 lb black lab ate 5 lbs of m&ms milk chocolate about
Our 70 lb black lab ate 5 lbs of m&m's milk chocolate about 3 hours ago he has vomited and has had diarrhea, will he be ok.… read more
Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan
My Chihuahua/Min-Pin mix ate alot of chocolate covered coffee
My Chihuahua/Min-Pin mix ate alot of chocolate covered coffee beans and is hyper and has also thrown some of them up. I beleive he ate them several hours ago because he has been up most of the night w… read more
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
Veterinary Specialist,
My 30 pound jack russell terrier ate approx. 4 oz of 70% dark
My 30 pound XXXXX XXXXX terrier ate approx. 4 oz of 70% dark chocolate in the last 1 to 4 hours. What should we do?… read more
Dr Wendy
Dr Wendy
Veterinary Associate,
33 lb dog ate less that .5 oz. of 70% cocoa dark chocolate.
33 lb dog ate less that .5 oz. of 70% cocoa dark chocolate. Vomiting was induced with around 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide. I have no funds for vet today. What shall I do next?… read more
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona
Veterinarian,