Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

is it safe to give a dog cefdinir 300mg.. i have a 8 month

old puppy who in the...
is it safe to give a dog cefdinir 300mg.. i have a 8 month old puppy who in the last few days seems really sick, i'm a single mom of 5 and havent got the money to bring him to a vet today, dont get paid till next week,but i am very worried he may die befor then if i dont do something right away, there are no vets in the are that will see him without payment, nor will they give me advise without seeing him, please help,he is my baby :( i have this script left over from when i was sick, didnt use it all. i think he has an infection, he has had yellow/green color disharge coming out of his penis lately.. now he's just laying on the couch,moaning and wont eat much, gave him a piece of lunch meat and sucked it down but wont drink water or his regular food.. i'm in tears and nowhere to turn but the internet..thank you so much...
12/18/2012
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions that will help me better assist you.

Has he been vaccinated?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Any coughing or sneezing?

Thank you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

yes, he's been vaccinated by the people who i got him from when he was two months old, no vomiting, and not sure about the diarrhea he hasnt gotten off the couch all morning, he's usually up and running all around but today he wont even wag his tail when i try to comfort him, i'm so upset.yesyerday he was limping, front paw, looked like it was cracked so i put antibacterial ointment on it,not alot just enough to cover the cracks,i did this a few weeks ago, same issue, he was limping, and it worked his limpming went away very quick,and he began to be his normal peppy self, so i tried it again, but its not working.. could this be the reason, maybe i poisoned him? :( and no there's no coughin or sneezing..

Thanks for the information...

I do believe that your guy has an infection of some form but it is hard to tell where this is coming from. This may be an infection causing this limping.

It is a good sign that there is no digestive disturbance. For now, give your guy aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hr. ONLY AND ONLY if you can get him to eat something. This will reduce any fever from this infection so his body can fight this off., if he has a discharge from his eyes, purchase Artificial tears at the pharmacy and apply a few drops every 6 hrs to flush out his eyes.

If there is still an obvious lesion on his paw, apply hot compresses every 4 hrs to help draw an infection to the outside...if there is no improvement after this, have your vet check your guy since we may have missed something.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Sorry, I did forget to mention that this antibiotic is not used in veterinary medicine and it is best to find out from your vet which antibiotic is best to prescribe rather than using one that could harm him.

ok thank you,unfortunately that wasnt the answer i was hoping for, i'll start calling some organizations in the area to see if they can help find a vet that will see him with out payment in full, so i can get him treatment right away, he's our baby and he needs to be checked out.. i was hoping this antibiotic i have would be of some help...unfortunately since he had his shots befor i got him, we havent established a regular vet. for him yet.. thank you Dr. Loretta

That is probably best if he is that bad......many vets use Carecredit which will help pay the bill.

Good Luck! Sorry that I could not be of more help.
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

what is the name of the antibiotic normally used in veterinary care to treat infections?

thank you for your advise, i found an organization to help get him the care he needs, we r going to the vets office now, again dr. loretta, thank you

That is is great!!

Please let me know how he is doing...There are many antibiotics used in veterinary medicine and that is determined by cultures.

Good Luck!
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian