Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog who is neutered has a cream colored discharge coming

Customer Question
from his penis. What...
My dog who is neutered has a cream colored discharge coming from his penis. What is it?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/15/2012
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello.

This white/ yellow/ cream/ green discharge from the penis is usually going to be from the area around the penis in the sheath vs the penis itself. It is what we'll often call "smegma." It's usually just some build up from not being cleaned normally.

Many of these will resolve on their own. If you want to do something, you can use a syringe or turkey baster and flush out the prepuce (foreskin) with warm water and hand soap. Often this is all you need to do. Otherwise, just ignore it and it should resolve on it's own.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Should I be concerned about him licking it so much? Its beginning to look very red and almost raw

Yes, I would try to stop him from licking. You can get an e-collar (cone collar) or put some boxer shorts on him so that his tail comes out of the fly hole.
Hi Brian,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Remington. How is everything going?

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian