Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What causes temporary hindlimb lameness in dogs? my dog

what causes temporary hindlimb lameness...
what causes temporary hindlimb lameness in dogs? my dog couldn't stand up on her hind legs last night but appears to be okay now.
12/4/2012
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Welcome! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.
Don't forget, I will do everything possible to provide a timely and detailed response, but sometimes it can be difficult to fully answer all questions. You can always select "reply to expert" if you need further clarification or more information, prior to providing a rating.
I am sorry to hear about this concern.
The most common injuries for a hind leg include:
1. A partial or complete tear of the cruciate ligament in the knee (stifle).
Cruciate Ligament Tear
2. Exacerbation of degenerative joint disease (arthritis) in the knee or hips
Hip Arthritis
Note: Hip dysplasia is early age arthritis due to genetics, whereas, many older pets can have age-related arthritis changes in their joints due to age.
3. Any other soft tissue injury (tendon, muscle, ligament)
4. A fracture
5. A paw trauma, fractured nail, or a foreign body in the paw.
Now, the above list is my general list for hind leg injuries. Of course, many of these wouldn't just come and go.
My primary suspicions would be for some mild soft tissue injury, or definitely, for a middle aged Shepherd, maybe some exacerbation of underlying arthritis.
Even a petite mal seizure could cause some unsteadiness or inability to walk on legs for a brief period.
Great that Raider is back to normal. But! This is still worth examination at the vet for sure. Some basic testing to consider would be a routine blood test (always helpful since it tells so much about overall health), and maybe, it is time for some x-rays of those back hips. It would help to know if Raider should be on a good joint support supplement or any other medication.
Actually! I recommend a joint support product now anyway.
Currently, one of my favorite joint support supplements on the market is Dasuquin or Cosequin. Here is some more information about it. Many veterinarians and clients have observed that after a few months on a quality joint support product, they can often reduce the dose of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications there pets may already be taking. A supplement can take several weeks to observe benefit, so it is important additional anti-inflammatory or pain medications are used in the meantime.
Product Information about Dasuquin / Cosequin
Also, an incredible clinically tested food to help with joint problems is J/D.
J/D Diet
Hope that info helps. Please remember to provide a feedback rating before you go.
Good Luck
Please remember to leave a feedback rating before you leave or close the window. Bonuses are also greatly welcomed if the answer is helpful.
You may also select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need more information BEFORE RATING. I would be happy to try and be of the greatest assistance possible before you provide a rating.

REMEMBER: Even after you submit feedback, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. Any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian. While information may be discussed, only your primary veterinarian should make the determination on therapy.
Dr. Andy, Medical Director