Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate raw coconut pieces with the hard shell. Now he is…

My dog ate raw coconut...
My dog ate raw coconut pieces with the hard shell. Now he is in pain. Had a normal stool this morning, ate and then threw up. He is wondering around with tail between hos legs. What can I do?
11/13/2012
Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Veterinarian
Hi, I am Dr. Jeff. I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed. I am not concerned about any toxic issues with coconut, but an upset stomach and GI tract is very possible after eating anything unusual. Chances are the GI tract will soften the shell. You may see a benefit for the vomiting, eating grass and abdominal discomfort with the use of a tablet of pepcid AC or tagament twice daily. This will reduce stomach acid production and could help. You can also use a couple tablespoon of maalox 2-3 times daily to further soothe the GI tract. You can also feed a couple pieces of bread to help move any pieces of the shell along. Provided the vomiting calms down and you he seems to improve, I am not too worried about an obstruction. Certainly, if things are not improving or he worsens, then a vet visit is warranted for more aggressive diagnostics and treatment. I hope this helps and gives you direction.
Thanks
Dr. Jeff
What is Tagamet.
Tagament (cimitidine) is a over the counter medication that is used to lower the production of stomach acid production. Tagament and Pepcid AC are both in a class of drugs called H2 blockers. They are very useful in low grade stomach upset, mild ulcers, etc. I prefer pepcid AC over tagament (but it is still a good option), but many people will have this in their home, which is why I mention it. I hope this helps.
Jeff
Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Veterinarian
Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Veterinarian