Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is vomiting; it's the middle of the night. She woke…

Customer Question
My dog is vomiting; it's...
My dog is vomiting; it's the middle of the night. She woke up the other night with some gastrointestinal distress too, but did not vomit. She has vomited three or four times now. She is 11 month old Belgian Shepherd mix. We feed her a mixture of Origen dry food and we cook rice, chicken and vegetables to supplement that.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/9/2012
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 11 month old Belgian Shepherd girl who has been vomiting this morning! There are a few things that could be causing this vomiting, including simple gastroenteritis, to a foreign body obstruction or even a toxicity potentially.

For now, you are best with holding her food until early afternoon. From then, just stick with cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice for 2 - 3 days. You also need to make sure she is drinking plenty of water and if she is hardly drinking anything right now, then you should try making up a chicken broth for her. Just boil up some chicken, scoop off the solids and feed her the warm soup. If her vomiting continues this evening and she can't keep any water down - then she could quickly become dehydrated.

If you can, please check her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate now as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of the gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting throughout the day, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

You may also want to try her with a little pepcid tonight. The typical dose is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about this online here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

Best of luck with Zorra and hopefully she settles. Let me know how you get on later if you get a chance. Don't forget to click an excited face :-D if this has been helpful. Please be sure to reply using the REPLY TO EXPERT button if you need any further help or advice.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback (5 STARS OR AN EXCITED FACE :-D ) are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile: Pet-Doc and ask a question via the question box.

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian