Sophie-Vet
Sophie-Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary surgeon in companion animal practice.
27746029

our poor dog is having a nervous breakdown, her owner has been

our poor dog is having a nervous breakdown, her owner has been been very ill, he is on hospice, the dog is normally high strung, we have introduced two additional dogs which he is getting along with greatly, the straw that broke the camels back is the introduction of two birds, she incessantly whines and tries to get to them, we have tried time outs, and 1/2 a benadryl to know avail, she continues to whine and beg at the birds, I NEED HELP ITS DRIVING THE HOUSEHOLD CRAZY? I need a answer that will absolutely work, thanks

Sophie-Vet :

Hi there, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a registered veterinarian. I would like to try to help you.

Sophie-Vet :

I am sorry to hear about your problems.

Sophie-Vet :

It certainly sounds like your poor doggy is stressed. Fortunatley there is lots you can do to help.

Sophie-Vet :

Stress is a normal part of everyday life that we and our dogs have to deal with, but if stress becomes excessive it can lead to behavioural problems. Sadly dogs cannot tell us that they are stressed, sometimes the only way we can notice this by the change in their behaviour.

Customer:

ok great

Sophie-Vet :

There are many solutions, usually best all used together.

Sophie-Vet :

Ways of tackling this problem including modifying the environment so that they have space, free access to their resources (food and bed etc), places to escape potentially stressful situations and privacy.

Sophie-Vet :

Products that can help include pheromone diffusers (the name of the product is Adaptil). The pheromones found in the milk of nursing dogs convey a message of security and reassurance to the puppy, these are naturally appeasing and comfort and reassure. Adaptil is a synthetic copy of these pheromones and can help to prevent stress and its associated problems. It comes in a plug in for the home and a travel spray which can be used in smaller areas. There is a also a collar which lasts for 4 weeks.

Customer:

he has all of those

Sophie-Vet :

Ok have you tried suppliments?

Customer:

no but the pheromone diffuser was reccomended today by a dog trainer at petco

Sophie-Vet :

Other non-prescription methods of stress control include using natural anti-anxiety products, (the name of the product I use is called Zylkene which contains Alpha-S1 tryptic caesin). No side effects e.g. sedation
have been associated with the use of Zylkene.These come in palatable powders that can be added to the food once a day. It can be given to help with short term stress but is also safe to use long term.

Sophie-Vet :

In extreme cases you may need to visit your vet for stronger short term medication such as Prozac. I also think you may need something a lot stronger than anti-histamines which are rubbish at sedating dogs! You could ask your vet for some tablets called ACP, a much stronger anti-anxiety and sedative which can help if you are finding sedation acceptable in the short term to help your pet adjust to the new changes.

Customer:

ok great thanks very much, if it continues and these things do not work should I take him to the vet?

Sophie-Vet :

Absolutely, you will only be able to get prozac and ACP from your vet. Everything else (or its generic) you will be able to find cheaply online.

Customer:

thanks so much great advice thanks

Sophie-Vet :

I hope that things get better for you soon, I realise how upsetting and frustrating these situations can be!

Sophie-Vet :

If you need anything else, please don't hesitiate to reply and I will try my best to help you. You can reply at any time even after rating.

Customer:

absolutely so true, thanks you have a great day

Sophie-Vet :

All the best - Sophie

Sophie-Vet :

Positive RATING (EXCITED FACE or 5 STARS) is appreciated as this is the only way I know you have received the information and I receive credit for my time.

Please reply using the CONTINUE THE CONVERSATION button if more information is needed at any time.

Please remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and REPLY to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.