Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

20 pound dog ate decon for mice. She's had 2 doses of

20 pound dog ate decon...
20 pound dog ate decon for mice. She's had 2 doses of hydrogen peroxide. Vomited quite a lot. Still vomited decon. what to do?
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/5/2012
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.
What is the active ingredient of the D-con that she ingested?
How much total D-con did she eat?
How long ago did she eat it?

I will have to dig box out of trash. Don't know how much she ate. Box was 3 oz. Brodifacoum is active ingredient. She ate it about 2 hrs ago.

Thanks for the additional information.
So far you have done very well by making Rosie vomit after eating the Brodifacoum mouse poison. Brodifacoum is a long acting rat poison therefore most of the time we do not see any toxic effects for up to 5-6 days after ingestion. This is good news because you will have plenty of time to make sure that Rosie is safe after eating the poison. The toxic dose is about 2.5 mg/kg or 5 mg per pound. Therefore this means that Rosie would have needed to eat about 100 mg and absorbed 100 mg of the poison to be lethal. Since you induced vomiting very quickly the chances of her absorbing 100 mg is very low as she most likely vomited most of the poison back up.
I would not give her another dose of peroxide at this time as this could potentially cause some stomach or esophageal ulcers for her with too much peroxide. Two is the maximum doses. She really should not need to vomit any more anyway.
The reason I say this is because she most likely has been able to bring up quite a bit of the Brodifacoum at this point.
I would give her some water to drink tonight and wait at least 2 hours before feeding her. I would also recommend calling your vet in the morning to get her started on the antidote for the Brodifacoum - Vitamin K. Starting this tomorrow is very safe as she should not be affected by the poison at least for another couple of days and already vomited most of it back out. I would keep her on vitamin K supplements for at least 10-14 days which will ensure that she will not have any bleeding problems.
Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Please do not rate my answer until you have all of your questions answered. If you are satisfied with the answer please do not hesitate to click on the "excellent service" button to compensate me for my efforts. Thank you in advance!
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian