Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Yesterday my four-year old Shih Tzu vomited three or so hours

after being fed (Blue Buffalo...
Yesterday my four-year old Shih Tzu vomited three or so hours after being fed (Blue Buffalo softened with water).The individual pieces of food were still plainly visible. To provide what I thought was an easily digestible meal, I fed him cooked0 chicken breast with rice yesterday evening. This morning I gave him another severing (perhaps too small) of the same mixture. Six hours later he vomited a bright yellow liquid I take to be bile. Suggestions?
8/19/2012
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- Is Blue Buffalo a new diet for your dog? If so, did you wean him into it?
2- Any other symptoms besides vomiting?

No, he has been eating Blue Buffalo for three or four years. There are no other symptoms. He seems happy and playful as usual.

In response to your question, vomiting can be caused by dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 5mg every 12 hours for the next 3 days.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, keep him indoors away from the heat during the fasting period.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above, he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for xrays and blood work to determine the exact underlying cause.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian