Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my dog has blood in his stool and it smell so bad. He does

Customer Question
not want to eat. What...
my dog has blood in his stool and it smell so bad. He does not want to eat. What should I do?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/10/2012
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 1 year old boy Ricky who has had a bad smell to his stool as well as fresh blood in it. There are a few things that could be going on here, but typically just fresh blood (and sometimes mucus) in the stool is just due to colitis (inflammation of the lower bowel). This can happen for a number of reasons, but typically from a diet change, change of environment or other types of stress. Other possibilities include an infectious issue (such as salmonella or campylobacter for example - so be sure to wash your hands regularly after handling him) or intestinal worms. If you notice bleeding from anywhere else on Ricky get him seen today please - as there could be a concern about a possible blood clotting issue.

You are best changing Ricky over to a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and white rice asap and continue with this for a few days. Be sure to get him wormed today with a good all-wormer like Drontal or Milbemax. You could even consider giving him a little pepto bismol - the typical dose is 0.5ml per pound per day - read more about this here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/bismuth-subsalicylate-pepto-bismol-kaopectate/page1.aspx

If there is no real improvement in this problem within the next couple of days, then you really will need to get Ricky and a fresh stool sample to your local Vet! Best of luck with your boy and let me know how you get on if you get a chance. Don't forget to click an excited face :-D if this has been helpful. Please be sure to reply using the REPLY TO EXPERT button if you need any further help or advice.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback (5 STARS OR AN EXCITED FACE :-D ) are always welcomed and very much appreciated

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either "Bad Service" or "Poor Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and answer any further questions you may have.

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile: Pet-Doc and ask a question via the question box.

Hi Andy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ricky. How is everything going?

Dr M D Edwards BVSc MRCVS
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian