I adopted a 2 yr old husky on Thursday, he has escaped 3 times, once out a window, once out a. Wire crate and once just

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I adopted a 2 yr old husky on Thursday, he has escaped 3 times, once out a window, once out a. Wire crate and once just now out of a plastic crate. I'm at a loss. I really need to talk to a vet I'm begging someone to call me. I'm in NY, XXX-XXX-XXXX.
Answered by crtrdr in 8 mins 10 years ago
imglogo
crtrdr
28+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

crtrdr : Hi, I will try and help you With S
crtrdr : Sorry, I will try to help with Dakota. Do you know for sure that he has been trained to stay in a crate?
<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer: I do not know if the dog has been crate trained. I've only had him 48 hours. There is way too much information to type. Please call me if you can. XXX XXX XXXX.
crtrdr : I can't call you, but am happy to try and help you through this forum. I will do my best to answer all of your questuo
crtrdr : Questions. I do ask that you please do not rare my service until we are through with this chat. I am concerned about 2 things-- one, he might just need to be trained to stay in a crate. Two, I'm concerned he might be suffering from some separation anxiety and will need some training and help to be left alone successfully. I can go through the steps to help you get him crate trained.
wendy-Mod41126.0361555208
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
First, I would get another sturdy crate. Be sure it is big enough for him to lay down and be able to stand up and turn around. Never force him into the crate. Leave the door open, have a bed in the crate and some toys. You may want to toss some treats in for him to go get. Feed him in the crate with the door open. Every time he goes in the crate, praise him and give him a special treat. This may take several days to several weeks. Once he seems comfortable with that, you can start closing the cart for short periods, while you are home. Make sure he has toys and something to do while he is in the crate. I recommend Kong toys stuffed with a mixture of canned and dry dog food. You can keep them in the freezer--- this way, it will take him longer to get the food out. Once he is good in the crate with you home, you can start leaving him for longer periods while you. Leave the house.
If his problem is that he has not been crate trained, this should help. However, if he is suffering from separation anxiety, then more work will need to be done. If this is the case, you may need help from a dog trainer and your veterinarian.
I hope this is helpful. I know this is a frustrating situation or you.
Let me know if I can answer any more questions or if you want to digest this information first before going through stalking about separation anxiety.
Please let me know if I can help you further.
Dr.K
Customer
Thank you for your help. I have to take this all in. He is a beautiful
animal and amazing with my 12 & 8 yr old daugthers. I'm quite frazzled. I
do believe it is a seperation/ anxiety issue. I have a vet apt Monday. I'm
a teacher so I have the time to be with him but I also have to leave the
house tomorow for a wedding and I'm at a loss what to do with him. The
plastic crate he got out of was a large crate. I'm not going to give up but
this 48 hrs & he has escaped 3x and eaten the blinds on the window he got
out of the 1st time. Clearly he was never crate trained. Thank you.
I'm sorry this is so difficult for you and Dakota. If it is separation anxiety, medication and behavioral modification can help. I also recommend using a pheromone called DAP. It comes as a spray, a collar or a diffuser. It can help anxious dogs be more calm. If you have to leave, I would recommend taking him to a dog daycare facility, many dogs with separation anxiety do well there. Perhaps a friend could take him for the day while you are at the wedding.
I hope this is helpful, if so, a positive rating is appreciated.
If I can help you further, please let me know.
I wish the best for you and Dakota.
Dr. K
Hi Margaret, I'm just following up on our conversation about Dakota. How is everything going? crtrdr
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
crtrdr
logo
logo
logo
28+ years of experience
imglogo
crtrdr
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.