My 2 year old Catahoula has bitten me 3 times while playing fetch. The first 2 times were in the hand which I understand

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My 2 year old Catahoula has bitten me 3 times while playing fetch. The first 2 times were in the hand which I understand and we changed to a Chuckit toy. Today he bit me in the leg when he dropped the ball and was grabbing for it. I was walking away from him so it's not like I was reaching for the ball . We hadn't been playing for more than 10 minutes. How can I play with him . FYI, he goes on 2-3 mile walks every morning and we do frequent walks in the yard while out for elimination.
Answered by crtrdr in 3 hours 10 years ago
imglogo
crtrdr
28+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

crtrdr : I see you are offline now, so I will switch to the Q&A mode to answer. If you have further questions, I will be happy to answer them for you, you just need to hit the reply button.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
How severe were the bites? Did they break the skin? How excited was he when this happened? Has he ever snapped at or bitten you any other time?
I know that is a lot of questions,but the answers will help me help you and Turkey.
I look forward to your reply and then will get back to you.
Thanks, XXXXX
Customer
all 3 bites broke the skin. He can go into psycho dog mode where it's almost like he can't drop the ball even when told, he just keeps getting a better grip. I should mention that this is his third home in less than a year, but none of it was because of biting. We've had him about 8 -9 weeks. He gets along very well with all the other animals.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like he gets wound up very quickly. I think the first step is to teach him some basic training such as Sit, Look at Me and how to relax. You may want to get a trainer to help you with this. I recommend finding a CPDT trainer who uses positive reinforcement. Teaching him to relax is very important. Also, as the training is taking place, you may need to be careful when you play ball. You may need to stop sooner, before he gets too worked up. You may need to take breaks, let him settle down and then play ball some more. The key is to keep him from getting to ,out of control. Over time, he will get the message that you only throw the ball for him when he is acting like a gentleman and remaining calm( it's ok to be happy and excited, just not over the top) I hope this is helpful,if you have further questions, I will be happy to answer them. Best of luck! Dr. K
Hi Miriam, I'm just following up on our conversation about Turkey. How is everything going? crtrdr
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
crtrdr
logo
logo
logo
28+ years of experience
imglogo
crtrdr
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.