My Russel, (Boris, 8) has to be sedated to have his claws clipped as it really stresses him out. I took him for this

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My Jack Russel, (Boris, 8) has to be sedated to have his claws clipped as it really stresses him out. I took him for this procedure for the first time today and was called by the vets as after 3 sedation injections he had not responded at all and was as awake as ever. What can i do next? The vet has scheduled a return appointment on monday to try again? He really needs his claws cut, what is you suggestion?
Answered by crtrdr in 1 min 10 years ago
imglogo
crtrdr
28+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

crtrdr : I'm sorry to hear about Boris. Has he always done this? Has it gotten worse over time? Did he have a bad experience with a nail trim?
<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

I only got Boris when he was 18 months old and from that time he has had isses with people touching his feet

crtrdr : So many dogs do have issues with that. You can do some behavior modification, it may take some time, but it will help. It is important for your vet, or whoever is goin to do the nail trim be on board with it.
crtrdr : First, go ahead a purchase a good pair of nail trimmers. You may need some one to help you at first.

i understand that as a long term solution but they are so long because i have not wanted him to face this stress that they really need looking at asap

Today the vet administered sedastart and torbugesic and Boris was not even mildly sedtated and they could not even put a muzzel on him let alone get his claws cut

crtrdr : Be sure and have special treats available for Boris. I would make it very special, and only use this treat for nail trims. Put Boris in your lap and touch his foot with the nail trimmers. While this is happening, have your friend offer Boris the treat and praise him very enthusiastically. Do this several times and stop. Try to end on a good note. Keep doing this step until he does not react negatively to the trimmers touching his foot. This may take many tries. Next step is to click the nail trimmers and give treats and praise. Keep that up until he no longer reacts. The next step is to put his nail into the trimmer and reward him for that , and the final step is to cut the nail. Be sure and just tip the nail, you do not want to run the risk of accidentally cutting the quick. Be sure and give plenty lof greats and praise. You may want to check out Dr. Sophia Yin's website. She covers issues like Boris's.
crtrdr : Not sure what other type of anesthesia your vet has available, but a product like Dexdomitor works very quickly and can be reversed when they are through.
crtrdr : After the nails are shorter, you can start your training at home

again i understand that but they need to be cut fairy urgently on this occasion, is it normal for dog not to react to sedation?

i am happy to start the training afterwards it is just this initial trim that is proving to be the issue

crtrdr : Different dogs react differently. Also, his stress level may have affected how he responded to the sedation

So your suggestion would be to go on monday taking a different approach and hope things go better? the vet said he has never seen a dog resist the medication like it

crtrdr : You may want to asj
crtrdr : Sorry, you may want to ask your vet if there is something you can give by mouth at home, before you take him in that might help relax him and be more responsive to the other drugs.

ok i will ask them and see what they say, they are a new vet to me and just wanted to check they were on the right track as today was £50 for the treatment with no claw clipping the result

crtrdr : Im sorry to hear that. I know this is frustrating, and I feel sorry for Boris. Let me know what they say. Once you get the nails cut back, I feel certain you can work on his behavior at home. Best of luck!

thank you for your advice, Boris will get lots of cuddles to make up for it do not worry!

crtrdr : Take care.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
crtrdr
logo
logo
logo
28+ years of experience
imglogo
crtrdr
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.