We have a new English Springer Spaniel, a rescue who is 4 years old. She just joined our family on Thursday. We would

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We have a new English Springer Spaniel, a rescue who is 4 years old. She just joined our family on Thursday.

We would like to ask how we can begin to leave her at home so that my husband and I can both go out without her (to dinner would be nice)? We have a travel crate for her but wouldn't want to leave her in it for extended periods of time as it is not large. Also, we certainly don't want our home damaged....

At this time, when we are outside, she searches for us at every window and door until she can find us. Then she sits and watches but drools..

Your help would be truly appreciated.

Sincerely
Michelle and Bruce
Answered by crtrdr in 19 mins 10 years ago
imglogo
crtrdr
28+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

crtrdr :

Good morning,I am sorry to hear about Ginger. I will try to help you with her. Do you know if she had this problem before?

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

Her former owners said that she did just fine when left in a closed bedroom. But we have found many things that the former owners told us that are not showing to be true...

crtrdr :

Sometimes that happens in a rescue situation. Ginger is showing some signs of separation anxiety, but it doesn't sound too bad yet. It may be that you will have to have a veterinary behaviorist help you with her. She may need medication to help her as well.

Medication like a half of a Bendryl or Melatonin? Can we try that today or should we wait to speak with our Vet tomorrow?

crtrdr :

I will outline some things you can do in the meantime to help Ginger. I would make sure you do not make a big deal out of leaving her, or a big deal when you return. Don't greet her in an excited manner or say things like "Poor baby, did you miss us?" Just say hey in a normal voice and then see if she needs to go out or go on with your normal routine. If she has gone to the bathroom in the house, don't punish or yell at her.

crtrdr :

I don't think benadryl will be helpful. Sometimes Melatonin is. There is a supplement that you can purchase on line that I have found to be very helpful. Its called Anxitane. Its an amino acid L-Theanine and can really help with anxiety.

crtrdr :

You may also want to get a DAP plug in sprayer or collar for her . This is a calming pheromone for dogs and can be helpful. I recommend playing music while you are gone. I like the CD Through a Dog's Ear. It is calming music for dogs. Also, having something to do may help her. You can get Kong toys, and stuff them with a mixture of canned food and her kibble. If you know you are leaving, don't feed her her regular amount of food so that she is slightly hungry. Then give her the kong to work on. Often, that keeps them busy for quite sometime.

crtrdr :

It may just take some time for her to adjust. She's only been with you for a few days. I'm sure things are confusing for her.

Sounds good. We will look into getting the pheremone and look on Amazon for the CD. We will need to buy a Kong. Should we begin by leaving her in our large half-bath with a high window and leave the TV on for noise? There is only a wooden cabinet in there that she COULD chew on, but the previous owners said that she has never chewed, even as a puppy. Or should we go ahead and give her full run of the house? We have beautiful upholstered furniture that would be very bad if she destroyed them.

crtrdr :

I am afraid to let her have full run of the house. But at the same time, I would want her to feel comfortable in the bathroom. So start by getting her used to being in there, so that she doesn't see it as a punishment. You may want to feed her in there, make sure her bed is in there and her toys.

Sounds like a good idea! I will go out on my own but we will move one of her beds in there today. I will buy her a nice beef bone that she can chew on only in that room. We can try that (along with the Kong and the music) for a few days and see if that works out well. If she seems to adapt to that, it would be a good solution for us. Does that sound OK?

crtrdr :

Yes, that sounds great. You may just want to go ahead and talk with your vet as well, just to let them know what is going on. And go ahead and start looking for a qualified CPDT dog trainer who does positive reinforcement and has some experience with separation anxiety. The CPDT has a good website.

crtrdr :

I really love springers, that is what I have. I will be thinking about you and Ginger and wish her the best in her new home

Thank you very much! I (Michelle) have never had a springer but my husband has. She is very sweet and intelligent. We appreciate your helpful advise. Have a nice day.

crtrdr :

Best of luck!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
crtrdr
logo
logo
logo
28+ years of experience
imglogo
crtrdr
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.