I have two puppies ages 1 year and 4 months. We live on a farm and they are constantly in the fields and ponds and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have two puppies ages 1 year and 4 months. We live on a farm and they are constantly in the fields and ponds and creeks. They have been given Vectra for the last two months and I'm not finding it to be effective for more than a week. Also just found out they have tapeworms. The vet gave them Drontal Plus today. My two part question, is there something more effective than Vectra for treating ticks and fleas and how often can I apply safely? And should they get regular doses of Drontal Plus as preventative against tapeworms. (They get Hearguard once a monthy).

Thanks
Answered by crtrdr in 7 mins 10 years ago
imglogo
crtrdr
28+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

crtrdr :

I am happy to help with your dogs and your flea problem. It could be that they are washing off the Vectra due to getting in th ponds on a regular basis. You may want to try using an oral flea control such as comfortis. The disadvantage of this is that it does not protect against ticks. You could use a tick collar for the ticks in addition to the comfortis. You could give a drontal or droncit on a regular basis to help prevent tapeworms.

crtrdr :

If you have further questions let me know, I will be happy to answer them for you.

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

the answer was ok but i just now was able to view it and the dr is now disconnnected. Site was not letting me view answer

crtrdr :

I am on line and have been. Sorry for the technical difficulties. Do you have other questions I can answer? I am happy to try and help you.

no thanks

crtrdr :

I am sorry that I was not able to help you to your satisfaction.

Hi Kathleen, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? crtrdr
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
crtrdr
logo
logo
logo
28+ years of experience
imglogo
crtrdr
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.