Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has high blood cell count in urine tests and pees all

My dog has high white...
My dog has high white blood cell count in urine tests and pees all the time. What could be the problem?
7/10/2012
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
The most common cause of a high white blood cell (pus) count in the urine and frequent urination in a 6 month old female such as Suzie Q is a simple bacterial cystitis - a bladder infection caused by fecal bacteria that find their way up her urethra into her bladder. We can address these infections two ways:

1) Institute a broad spectrum antibiotic that should address the common bacterial infections that we see at her age. Dose for 10-14 days, wait 5 days, and then check her urine (a urinalysis and/or culture and sensitivity of the urine) to make sure that we've sterilized her urinary tract.

2) Collect urine before instituting antibiotics and perform a culture and sensitivity to determine the absolute best antibiotic to use. Dose that antibiotic for 10-14 days, wait 5 days, and then check her urine (a urinalysis and/or another culture and sensitivity of the urine) to make sure that we've sterilized her urinary tract

Urinary tract infection is relatively common in our young female dogs. As they mature infection isn't as common a problem.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Thank you. I'll check back with you in a week for an update.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian