Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

my dog rocky is a mix golden retriever and chow he is 7yrs…

my dog rocky is a...
my dog rocky is a mix golden retriever and chow he is 7yrs old normally very healthy we got a new aussie puppy10day ago, it 12weeks old it has all shots my vet is out of town and the last few days rocky has had bad diearea there was some form to it up intill this morning it is mostly watery brown. is there any thing i can do besides give him water? he was hungry this morning i gave him a 12oz of pedigree chopped chicken , he ate it right down he had drank water 2 cups and a lot more 400am when he got me up to let him out. the puppy has no problems what can i do for rocky to get him back to normal?
7/4/2012
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

Typically - this is more of a digestive disturbance and stomach upset than a true disease or concern.

For cases such as this - Some owners do a trial run - meaning they attempt a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for a few days to see if the signs resolve.

Rather than large meals - you might wish to start feeding smaller meals more often, which will not lead to the full belly and therefore the hope for improved comfort.

Regarding stomach upset, Pepcid A/C (Famotidine) is also a consideration - dosages and usage information here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

This can be given 30 minutes before a meal.

If the signs do continue, then having a stool sample checked would be a good idea with the new puppy as there are times the puppy can bring a parasite or virus into the house and not display the illnes, but be a carrier for the older dog to get sick.

I hope this information is helpful!

This is meant to be a running dialogue, and for this reason it is very IMPORTANT that you reply using the REPLY TO EXPERT button if more information is needed at any time BEFORE rating.

Positive RATING (EXCITED FACE or 5 STARS) and bonus if happy is appreciated as this is the only way I know you have received the information and I receive credit for my time.

Please remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please STOP and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: CriticalCareVet.
Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.
what about some drugs we use for dieara peptobusmo tabs or something else to help harden the stool????
Pepto bismol is not a great option in dogs.

Some consider imodium, but that can lead to constipation.

This is meant to be a running dialogue, and for this reason it is very IMPORTANT that you reply using the
REPLY TO EXPERT button if more information is needed at any time BEFORE rating.

CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist