Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my dog ate some of my uti infection pills, phenazopyridine

hydrochloride to be exact, my...
my dog ate some of my uti infection pills, phenazopyridine hydrochloride to be exact, my dog is 70 pounds, do I need to do anything for him, or will the medication pass through?
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/26/2012
Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

When did your dog eat them and how many mg did he get?

Customer:

Not sure, about 1:00 this afternoon. His paw is stained yellow and when he urinates its orange

Dr. Scarlett :

So obviously too late to induce vomiting! How many mg were in a tablet? Any idea how many were in the bottle?

Customer:

I'm asking my daughter its her dog

Dr. Scarlett :

Phenoazophyridine can cause liver and/or kidney problems. Ingestion can also cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and increased respiratory rate (panting), and ataxia (walking like he's a bit drunk). Treatment for an overdose would be IV fluids, cimetidine (to protect the stomach), and monitoring liver and kidney values (and treating symptomatically if they are elevated).

Dr. Scarlett :

But he's a big dog (let me guess--a labrador?), so depending on how many he ate, he may be ok.

Customer:

the tablets are 97.5 mg and we think he may have taken 2-3

Dr. Scarlett :

OK, so maybe a maximum of 300 mg. The toxicologist recommends decontamination at 800 mg (20 mg/kg) for your dog, so 300 mg is pretty low.

Customer:

so I guess we will just have to deal with the orange urine for now

Dr. Scarlett :

Yes, and from what I read, it stains fabric and carpet badly--so make sure he urinates outside! I would really encourage him to drink lots of water--add it to his food, dilute some chicken or beef broth, put ice cubes in his water, etc--anything to help flush the stuff out of his system. I would recommend your daughter take him to her regular vet in the morning and have bloodwork done to make sure his liver/kidneys are ok. If he starts vomiting I would probably take him in sooner, just in case he is having a bad kidney reaction.

Customer:

thank you for the peace of mind.

Dr. Scarlett :

You're welcome! Here's to a good, stain-free evening!

Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian