Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ate my monistat vaginal yeast gel tablet and I induced

vomiting with hydrogen peroxide about...
My dog ate my monistat vaginal yeast gel tablet and I induced vomiting with hydrogen peroxide about 15 minutes after he ate it. He immediately vomitted 6 times and I believe I saw the rest of the cream come out. He is an 8yr old boxer. He is sleeping now. Is there anything else I should watch for? Thanks because I live about 1hr away from emergency vet.
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/20/2012
Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there --
Welcome to Just Answers. You are working with Dr. BJ Hughes --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Is Jax healthy otherwise?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I understand your concerns -- did he eat one gel capsule?

Customer: Yes he is healthy. He ate the 1day gel capsule with 1200mg of miconizole nitrate cream
Dr. BJ Hughes :

Thank you -- give me a minute to research this product.

Customer: He weighs about 94lbs
Customer: I gave him about 3tablespoons
Dr. BJ Hughes :

Very good -- if the vomiting occured before an hour after ingestion -- then most of the ingested product was likely removed.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

This is not a highly toxic product -- and oral suspensions of miconazole are available for use in dogs (though this is uncommon).

Dr. BJ Hughes :

SO everything should be fine --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The product is removed from the body within 24 hours after ingestion.

Customer: Within 20 minutes after I noticed what happened he got the peroxide and within 5 min vomitted at least 6 times. Now he is slightly sleepy
Customer: Should I expect any kind of diarrhea
Dr. BJ Hughes :

The amount of this particular product is fairly-- did he eat the entire 1200 mg amount ?

Customer: As far as I could determine
Customer: Should I feed him his regular diet in am?
Dr. BJ Hughes :

Very good -- I did find a toxic oral toxic dosage for miconazole - and this is well below that amount. Most of it should have been removed -- and side effects should be minimal.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Some mild diarrhea may be seen starting 24 -- 48 hours after ingestion.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

At this time -- giving water and food would be advised. You can give a balnd food (such as cooked white rice) for the next 24 hours.

Customer: Ok thanks so much for your advice and help.
Dr. BJ Hughes :

Since this is an anti fungal product, you may wish to give a probiotic starting tomorrow am., This is a product that will help replenish the normal flora of the intestine.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

These products can be purchased at pet stores.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

or vet clinics (eg. Purina Fortiflora)

Dr. BJ Hughes :

So everything should be ok --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Is there anything else I might assist you with this evening?

Customer: No thank you. Thanks again,sara
Dr. BJ Hughes :

You are most welcome -- \

Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Hi Sara,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jax. How is everything going?

Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian