CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My 7 month old puppy is vomiting and has had diarrhea for the

My 7 month old puppy is vomiting and has had diarrhea for the past 3 days. He goes through stages. For example: last night he ate, ran and played.... today he lethargic and vomiting with solid stool. He has had only one set of puppy vaccinations. I recently found out he needs 3-4. Please Help.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

1) How many times per day is he vomiting?

2) Is there blood in the stool?

3) Are there other pets in the house?

IF yes, are there similar signs?

-
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have only noticed him vomiting 2 times today.
No blood that I can see in the stool, and its a brown color.
Not other pets but I was at a birthday party last Saturday with a puppy with similar symptoms.
Not sure what happened with the other dog though.
A young puppy with signs of stomach upset as you listed above would most likely be sick from infectious causes, inflammatory causes, or eat something they shouldnt

Infectious causes could be worms, protozoa, bacteria, and even viruses.

In a young puppy with only 1 vaccine- I am VERY worried about another possible infectious cause - parvovirus...

- You can try to offer small amounts of pedialyte for hydration and electrolytes (LINK HERE). You can even purchase a dropper from your local pharmacy to offer the water/pedialyte mixture by mouth.

- A bland diet such as chicken and rice

- A calorie dense nutritional supplement such as nutrical (LINK HERE)

But if the vomiting does continue, evaluation and even x-rays would be a good idea.

After reading the information above, before RATING - If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to REPLY and ask!

Otherwise - ONLY when satisfied - please remember to leave feedback by clicking on the 5 STARS followed by “Submit Rating”

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please remember to leave feedback by clicking on the
STARS followed by “Submit Rating” - This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you leave feedback and credit the post, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.
What further information would you like to make this more helpful?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The first time he vomited the color was clear and foamy. The second it was a ugly mustard color. I have recently given him dewormer. However he has a nasty habit of eating things like platic, carpet shavings, ect. Could that be the cause, or is it more likely that since I was around the other sick puppy I may have brought it to my dog? I have also found out the other dog is doing fine, but mine is on day 3.
However he has a nasty habit of eating things like platic, carpet shavings, ect.

--> Yes - that would be a major concern and further emphasize the importance of the statement I discussed above, x-rays.