Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My english bulldog has been vomiting for the last 2 days.

Customer Question
She is not eating, but...
My english bulldog has been vomiting for the last 2 days. She is not eating, but is drinking water, and having normal bowel movements. I do not have pepto but I do have generic anti nausea medicine I use for my kids.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/4/2012
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 5 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Can you please tell me whether or not Savannah had been well prior to the onset of her vomiting 2 days ago? Do you have any idea what might have brought her vomiting on - a new, inappropriate or spoiled food or ingestion of a non-food item? Thank you in advance for your reply.
She was completely normal, she only eats dog food and has been eating the same food that my other 2 dogs eat and they are fine. She only goes outside to use the bathroom and then she comes right back in.
Thank you. That's a bit worrisome, then. Cases such as I inquired about are considered "simple vomiting" that can be addressed by fasting and the tincture of time. At nine years of age, I'm willing to give a patient such as she 72 hours to remiss but any longer than that risks dehydration and electrolyte loss that should be addressed with supplemental fluids given in a hospital setting and also diagnostic testing. Conservative treatment at this time would consist of antacid administration (famotidine/Pepcid) at a dose of 0.1mg/lb every 12 hours and an anti-emetic such as you've mentioned. If you can tell me what product you have and the concentration of that drug I might be able to give you a dose for Savannah. (avoid PeptoBismol - it contains a salicylate - aspirin-like compound - that can irritate an already irritated GI tract)
It is a generic version of Emetrol, ingredients is Dextrose 1.87g, Levulose 1.87 g, Phosphoric acid 21.5mg per 5ml. She weighs 49-52lbs.
Thank you. Emetrol is a phosphorated carbohydrate solution. We're not sure how it works but it's certainly safe to give to a dog her size at half the adult human dose. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I'll get back to you in a few days to see how Savannah's doing.
How's Savannah doing?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian