Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog just started not using his back left leg (limping, but

Customer Question
holding it high) after everything...
My dog just started not using his back left leg (limping, but holding it high) after everything was fine all day, playing, walking, etc...
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/3/2012
Dog Veterinarian: Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian replied 5 years ago
Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Hi there,

You are speaking with Dr. Denise and I am happy to assist you.

I am thinking of a couple of possibilities for Fetch's lameness. One is an anterior cruciate ligament rupture or tear. It is a common injury of dogs. Generally they hold the affected hind leg up and may occasionally touch it down to the ground. This is the ligament in the knee.

The other possibility is arthritis flare up for having a fun day.

For the weekend I suggest giving him buffered aspirin at a dose of 5 mg per pound of body weight twice a day. Give it with a little food and that will make it easier on his stomach. And rest.

Then Monday take him in to your veteriarian for assessment. If it is a cruciate rupture, that requires surgery to repair.
Hi Tommy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Fetch. How is everything going?

Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian