Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my dog id not eating, has vomited, and is lethargic

Customer Question
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/29/2012
Dog Veterinarian: CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist replied 5 years ago
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

When did this start?

CriticalCareVet :

How many times has he vomited?

You posted a duplicate question - I hope this helps you get back to the question.
This began yesterday. He did not eat all day. He has chewed on grass which caused vomiting. Very light mostly clear. I just offered him another favorite treat and he turns his head away. Very lethargic
Will I be getting a response to this? I am not sure how this works.
With this degree of vomiting and illness - if you are able to see the veterinarian, that would be best - as an x-ray can make us feel much better - noting that this would not be a blockage - and then if not a blockage - we can feel much better about treating stomach upset (gastritis or a gastroenteritis).

Sometimes in these cases, even if the cause is just an upset stomach, it is hard to give them medications by mouth as they can vomit that back up before it has a chance to be absorbed and work.

For this reason, if the vomiting continues, sometimes even a short veterinary visit, subcutaneous fluids for hydration and injections for nausea can be enough to stop the cycle of vomiting, help them feel better, and then give you a chance to continue oral medications at home and supportive care to help resolve the issue.

In general, when this happens, for an upset stomach - considerations would include:

1) Removing food for 12-24 hours to give the gastrointestinal tract a chance to rest.

If the vomiting stops - considerations would then be:

1) One option would be a veterinary prescription bland diet called Hill’s I/D (LINK HERE).

The second option would be a home-cooked bland diet. A common bland diet is boiled white rice and either boiled white meat chicken or boiled hamburger. Whichever protein source is chosen (chicken or hamburger) it is recommended to offer a mixture of 2/3 rice and 1/3 of the protein source.

If the diet is tolerated, and once clinical improvement is seen, it is recommended to SLOWLY transition back to the normal diet.

When you start to transition to the normal diet, you can initially offer a food mixture with the majority being the boiled rice and meat and have a small amount of normal dog food mixed in.

Each day you can gradually decrease the amount of rice and meat and gradually increase the amount of normal dog food in the mixture.

We recommend a slow transition over 3-5 days to reduce possible stomach upset.

2) Antacids for stomach upset (often one is chosen of the 3 choices below):

- Famotidine (Pepcid A/C) - LINK HERE (The typical dose administered is 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg) every 12 to 24 hours.)
- Prilosec OTC (Omeprazole) - LINK HERE (The typical dose administered to animals is 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg), every 24 hours or once daily.)
- Rantididine (Zantac) - LINK HERE (The typical dose administered to animals is 0.25 to 1 mg per pound (0.5 to 2 mg/kg), every 8 to 12 hours.)

3) Pedialyte for hydration - LINK HERE

4) Medications for nausea
- Cerenia (LINK HERE)
- Zofran (LINK HERE)

5) Probiotics can also be considered - LINK HERE or LINK HERE

But in cases similar to this, the concern is vomiting that continues at any time. Other considerations / concerns include loss of appetite, lethargy, signs of discomfort - or blood in the stool - those would be indications where veterinary evaluation is warranted.

If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask!

Otherwise - please remember to leave feedback and credit the post.

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please leave feedback and credit the post -
This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you leave feedback and credit the post, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Vet not on line. I need an answer now
Please see above - answer was given.
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist