Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog started arching his back today and does not want to move very much. He will go outs

Customer Question
ide without any hesitation when...
My dog started arching his back today and does not want to move very much. He will go outs ide without any hesitation when asked.

He is not constantly arching his back. He seemed to be getting better as the day went on but the. We fed him dinner and he back to how he was feeling this morning.

I had fears of the flipped stomach but he wasn't having the bloating or hardness of the belly. The only thing I can think of is that he ate a pig ear right before all of this started happening.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/29/2012
Dog Veterinarian: Doctor Jeff, Veterinarian replied 5 years ago
Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Veterinarian
Hi, I am Dr. Jeff. I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed. The biggest concern I have is a bulging intervertebral disc. When the disc is inflammed it can put pressure on the spinal nerves which is pretty painful. It can lead to reluctance to move, arched back or other strange postures, head down posture, random cries in pain, etc. I will often recommend aspirin in these cases, but this could limit your vets treatment options if a vet visit is necessary. Plus, it could make things worse if this is a stomach issue from the pig ear. Another issue I would be concerned about would be inflammation in the stomach, pancreas, or small intestine. This can also lead to the hunched appearance, but many of these dogs will not eat and may vomit bile. Either way, it may help to give a tablet of pepcid AC or tagament twice daily. This will reduce stomach acid production and could help. Plus, if this is a back issues it will not hurt. Otherwise, I would rest him tonight. If he has not improved by morning I would seek your vets opinion. If he worsens, or shows any sign of abdominal bloating, I would seek an ER vet. I hope this helps and gives you direction.
Thanks
Dr. Jeff
Thank you. I don't think this is related to a disk or back problem but you never know.

I think some how this is related to the pig ear. Is it still okay to give him Pepcid AC or Tagament if this is caused by consuming the pig ear? He has not vomited or anything to this point. Will his body be able to break down the pig ear if he consumed to big of a piece at one time?

He did eat dinner tonight & was wanting to eat grass when I took him for a walk. He is to hunching his back when I walk him. Only when he stops and relaxes for a while.
You can give a whole pepcid or tagament. This will reduce stomach acid production and could help. I would also expect him to break down the pig ear, but that does not mean, he will not experience stomach upset. So, give the pepcid a try for now and let him relax. It may do the job. Because of the grass consumption, I agree with you that this is more likely GI related, but a disc issue is still possible. I hope this helps.
Jeff
Thank you. XXXXX reply back if I have more questions in the next couple hours?
Feel free to follow up on this thread. I will be going to bed within the next hour or so, but tend to get up pretty early in the morning if you need anything.
thanks
Jeff
Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Veterinarian
Hi Roger,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Harley. How is everything going?

Doctor Jeff
I am sorry Jeff. I will accept your answer today.

Harley ended up having constipation of fecal matter and was partially de-hydrated. The 24 hour vet hospital I took him to did x-rays, gave him a laxative of some sort, and re-hydrated him.

The concerns of a disc problems or bloat where not the problems. This is the first time I have heard of a dog having the symptoms he had and it ended up being constipation. You may want to put this in your list book as something that is a possibility when a dog has the symptoms I described above.

Thank you.
Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Veterinarian